Anyone stopped high blood pressure tablets?

My goal is to loose enough weight and get myself fit enough to come off my blood pressure tablets . I know doctors aren’t really keen on it and they say they are for life. High blood pressure doesn’t run in my family and I can only put it down to being over weight and being unfit.

I’ve lost a couple of stone and I had planned on going to the doctor after loosing another couple and tell him my cunning plan. I’ve been on them for a few years but now the side affects are taking place (high potassium levels in my blood due to the tablets)

So anyone managed it?

I think it will become obvious when and if you’re able to drop the medications. As you become more fit, your blood pressure should lower. Work with doctors on this, but you should be able to wean yourself off of them at some point, or at least see how you do without them.

That being said, I’ve achieved a good level of health and fitness and my blood pressure is still elevated. It can be genetic. I still choose to not take medications, but I do monitor my blood pressure on a weekly basis and try to take natural supplementation to keep it lower.

1 Like

What natural supplements do you take and can you actually see they work?

That’s a tricky one that can take a lot of time, but there is scientific research out there to show that a number of natural suppliements do help. Results will vary from person to person, so you’d need to basically be your own science experiment. First of all, get an accurate blood pressure monitor. You can find reasonably priced ones on Amazon.com.

Ones I take include magnesium, CoQ10, Garlic, Grapeseed Oil, and Fish Oil.

Some articles to look at:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/basics/alternative-medicine/con-20019580

Do your own research. As you find supplements, look them up on http://www.examine.com and it will tell you their efficacy and dosage amounts.

Again, I encourage you to work with your doctor on this.

2 Likes

Hi

I was told by my doctor 18 months ago that I had to start high blood pressure tablets & they would be for life also if i didn’t do something about my weight I would have serious future illnesses like diabetes as my blood sugar was high too!

I reluctantly started taking 1 type of blood pressure tablets in October 2015 that made my legs swell up & bruised my shins internally then changed to lisinoprol about a month later these didn’t have the same affect which was great after my 2nd 3 monthly blood test to check the tablets were not affecting my liver etc my doctor called me back in to tell me that I was basically diabetic & she wanted to start me on pills for diabetes too!

We had a chat about diet exercise sugar working nights etc & I told her I was joining a gym late April 2016 she said we would avoid the diabetes pills for 3 months & check my progress.
So late July I had lost 3 stone & my blood sugar levels dropped like nothing she had ever seen before along side my blood pressure dropping too.

In October last year I trialled a week with out high blood pressure tablets with the doctors & after a successful weeks results stopped taking them altogether.
I go to my doctors once a month to add my blood pressure check ups to my record with the self service machine in the waiting area.

By December I had lost over 6 &1/2 stone then after a Christmas break & a very busy stressful January I gained a few pounds & had no gym time. I went to my doctors about some dry skin issue in early February she ran my vitals weight blood pressure etc & it was a little high so I had a 12hr tape put on & that result came back normal no action.

What you need to remember is we are all different & our bodies cope & change differently to each other.
If I had to carry on the tablets it wouldn’t have been the end of the world.

Best of luck
Doug

2 Likes

First of all, dear friend, I salute you for your resolution to lose weight, become fitter AND get off high pressure medication.

If only a fraction of men decided to confront their problems head-on, we would live in a better world. Here is my advice: Get as fit as you can and then you’ll give the blood pressure medicine the finger. I am no doctor, but I beg to differ with their “for life” statement - especially since the condition does not run in your family.

When it comes to exercise and getting fit, I suggest you <a href=”http://ohealthyeah.com/back-fat-exercises/ ” title=”ease yourself into it”>ease yourself into it. There’s no reason to all crazy, high intensity from the time being, even slight improvements will make a big impact. Likewise, in getting off your medication, in order to be as safe as possible, I think you should, again, make the <a href=”http://ohealthyeah.com/lower-high-blood-pressure-naturally-live-longer/ ” title=”transition”>transition as smooth and easy as you can with natural ways to control your blood pressure.

I KNOW the naysayers will try to discourage you. They will say it is for your own good. But you, my friend, are the master of your fate, the captain of your ship. So do your due dilliegence and let them gasp for air while they try to catch you.

I hope you succeed. Let me know!

2 Likes

The most important part of that comment.

2 Likes

Hi Mario thanks for the reply.

I did it , I went to the doctor and we halved my tablets , then six weeks later I went back and my blood pressure was still good so I’ve been off them for six weeks now. Next week I’ve to take my blood pressure three times a day for ten days and average it out as the final step.

I’ve lost 60lb and go to the gym four to five days a week and feel like a new man. This site has been life changing for me.
I’ve set myself small goals and managed to hit everyone which has let me achieve my long term goals.

So up to now I’ve proved you can come off these drugs for life and it sits around 117/77 just now.

2 Likes

Good thing I added it then, no? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

AWESOME! Glad to hear it.

1 Like

definitely, giving unqualified medical advice to somebody with a diagnosed condition can be very dangerous.

Don’t recall seeing the Victory thread that this deserves on the main board…

2 Likes

Hello! I am happy to tell you that I was okayed to stop taking my blood pressure medicine last week! I’ve taken them about two years. I am currently working out five days a week. My start weight was 535 lbs! I am now 410 lbs (still insanely obese) lol, but my pressures are very good. I have to take my pressure several time a day, and I go back to my doctor in three weeks just to make sure everything is fine. I know if I can stop my medicine at 410 lbs, it can be done for others. Also, I have been working out diligently for 8 months. I think the key is to push yourself when doing cardio waaaaay beyond your comfort zone. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hmmm, I think the other side of that is the risk of injury or death. You should always speak to your GP before starting a programme. There’s really no harm going from walking, to weighted walking (walking with a backpack on) to slow jog, to full-on running.

3 Likes

While I appreciate your critique, it was unwarranted. I simply stated what I have been doing and it seems to work for me. My resting heart rate is currently 54. I have never felt better and I am not even half way there. Working outside of your comfort zone actually strengthens the heart.

Are we talking about Statins?

And that’s great and I couldn’t be happier for you, don’t get me wrong. What I’m trying to offer is the wider viewpoint that a GP would offer that if you have a heart condition or an issue with blood pressure they would not advocate pushing your heart outside of your comfort zone. They would advocate working within your comfort zone and slowly increasing what that zone is. Either way those with medical concerns should speak to their medical doctor before beginning a new routine - I’m sure we both agree on that!

1 Like

Spammed the forums enough already this week mate?