Ask a Nutrition & Training Coach Anything!

Just an FYI & important reminder:

Insulin is NOT the cause of weight gain

Unless you’re diabetic, pre-diabetic or suffering with metabolic syndrome in some form, Insulin is 100% irrelevant when it comes to ‘things to think about’ in regard to weightloss

Here’s how it works

Certain foods increase insulin secretion (from the pancreas), especially things like whey protein (shocking eh),

Insulins job is to remove glucose from the bloodstream & filter it into other places (muscle tissue, liver, adipose etc)

If you’re in a state of deficient energy (calorie deficit) there is NOTHING to store & you will lose weight

If you’re in a state of a caloric surplus, you will store excess & you will gain weight (usually, depends on glycogen/carb stores & other things)

Just like any other time that you’re in a deficit or surplus

Want to lose weight?

Find a weight to create an energy deficit that you can adhere to, preferably something you enjoy or at least don’t hate

Remember to take diet ‘breaks’ every now & that for sanity sake

Low fat >>> less fat = less calories
Low carb >>> less carbs = less calories
Low sugar (sugar is carbs so see above)
Keto >>> No carbs = less calories
Fasting >>> less time to eat = less calories
Juicing >>> less food = less calories

There’s no such thing as ‘good or bad’ calories, it’s a unit of measurement, just like an inch, metre, mile etc…… it’s a concept, not a physical thing

It’s a measurement of the amount of energy needed to heat 1 kg of water by 1 degree centigrade

“CALORIE DEFICIT”

(yes, I know it should say ‘fewer’ overall calories, lol)

:slight_smile:

Hello can i ask do u hav any advice if ppl is medication which is side effects of weightgain. Is there anything thay can b done 2 help as well as just standard diet + exercise or tryna come off the meds? What is the best advice 4 ppl in that sitiation? Thanx

Hi guys. My son is unable to swim at the moment so I’ve been introducing him to the gym.

He asked me yesterday whether the gym session (essentially a 5x5 workout) was the equivalent of his 1hr (80x25m) swimming session.

That stumped me a bit, as I don’t tend to think of gym and swim in terms of “equivalence”.

Any guidance on how to answer the question?

Hey mate, well the medication itself is outside of my scope of practice, but what I can say is that medications that DO have this effect are doing so because they affect appetite

The universal law of energy balance however still apllies (calories in v out)

It does mean that you may need to put more care and attention into managing hunger levels, making sure to select mostly lower calorie filling foods, as opposed to calorie dense foods that don’t fill you

So not much changes to be honest, everything pretty much remains the same,

You’ve hit the nail on the head mate, they’re both very different, but both have a crossover that benefit each other :slight_smile:

Thank u. So is it always the case its just about appetite they dont effect storing fat or owt? Yea, i telt the dr if they want me on this medication it puts me a few steps behind the start line weightloss wise, i mite not ever catch up with other ppl but at least i can move forward eh.
Hunger is always a problem i wish they woud invent a (legal!) way 2 control it honestly haha

That’s right mate, it’s physicals, you can’t make new mass out of nothing, just like when people focus on insulin, you can’t store fat in a caloric deficit

Ah right
Cos u always get this debate round it, so ill b able 2 tell ppl it doesnt effect that way
I hope they take me off that medication 1 day tbh its sh!t the side effects like

Yep, I’ve found that people for the most part, in all aspects of life, love to have an opinion, but generally don’t know what the f*** they’re talking about lol

“I know the experts, scientists and researchers who have spent their entire lives on this subject have come to a confounding conclusion based on the body of evidence over the past 100+ year,s but let me tell you about my uninformed personal opinion given that I know next to nothing about the subject at hand outside of a daily mail article & a netflix documentary” lol

Aye. I mean 2b fair i think ppl is just goin off there own experience of them meds sumtimes cos ppl can get annoyed when on the 1 hand ur drs like take these, then next theyr on about ur weight. But i think sumtimes ppl dont realise they was eating more when they was, its easy done i suppose!!

Hi @maxinas any ways you can recommend to stay fit and exercise whilst having a 3 year old in tow

Hi mate, to be honest, this is just something that comes down to a matter of managing time, making time & making use of the time you have available.

I’m not quite sure what you’re ‘barrier’ is?

@Hebbron25
Not sure if cyclings your thing, but theres various ways of attaching a kid to the bike, (seat, trailor, and those mini bike attachment tandem things…)
Quite nice Dad kid bonding…
Now my boy is older I run and he cycles along mocking me!

Yeah we do that during the summer. Ive had a. Couple of pretty bad cycling accidents in the winter over last 3 years (been in hospital twice) so a bit wary. Update anyway have found a gym that does family events etc.

Hi @maxnas I’ve got a question about protein consumption. I’ve heard 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass, is that impacted by the type of protein? For example if it’s from vegetarian sources vs animal protein.

Hey mate, 0.8 /lbs is the min recommedation for lean strength trainees

Lets switch to kilos for a second (there’s 2.2lbs in a kg)

0.8 / kg is the RDA to prevent malnutrition

1.2-1.4 / kg is the optimal health range

1.6-2.2 / kg is best for maximizing muscle building if strength training (for obese people they’d be better off sticking to the ‘health’ numbers as they wont need as much protein)

Veg sources of protein are usually lower in certain amino acids, meaning the benefits from veg sources dont give you the same bang for your buck, so for a veggies I’d recommend shooting for the higher end of those ranges or slightly above

Hope that helps?

That’s great thanks!

Hi. Have just started playing with Man Vs fat and have been a part of my team for 4 weeks. Just after the first game I injured my thigh(thigh strain) so had a couple of weeks off. Played tonight with a support on and it’s gone again. Any suggestions? Also how can I improve my fitness. I find I can only run a short distance before I’m burned out.

Sounds like you’re a classic case of needing to build up slowly. It’s frustrating and you’ll be tempted to cheat and jump in at the deep end but you’ll just pick up an injury.

I’ll save you the £50 you’d pay a physio and tell you that you need to dial it back to a level that your body is comfortable with. Then you need to measure this and make sure your body is comfortable with it. Then week by week you do a bit more.

Take the football. It might kill you but perhaps you say that for the next five weeks you want to go in goal while your injury heals. At the same time you could start to track your steps (have you got a pedometer? Grab one if not they’re great). Whatever you can comfortably do keep adding 1k per week until you can easily do 10k per day. That gives you a baseline fitness that you can build on.

What you build on it with depends on what you LOVE doing. Hate running, don’t do it. Hate swimming, sack it off. Love to dance, get on your dancing shoes.

You might have been looking for something more specific around plans and exercises and I’m sure that advice will be forthcoming but the essence of it is that you need to build up slowly and listen to your body.

Couldn’t have said it better myself ^^^