Ask a PT & Nutritionist Anything

Have a look at the two video links I’ve posted mate, they cover the same topic

What’s your goal & what are you wanting out of exercise?

I don’t think I’m getting carried away… yet! I’m alternating days between upper body and lower body strength training, and alternating short work outs for each and a plank first and last thing. Lunch time walk 1.5 mi and these crunches.

I do feel hungrier come dinner time though, I’m wrestling with that.

Seems like a solid plan mate! :slight_smile:

Regarding the lunchtime hunger, what’s the rest of your day looking like as a whole? It may be the case of doing a bit of shuffling things about a touch, rather than looking at one particular time of day in a vacuum (as it all affects each other) :slight_smile:

It’s evening meal dinner/tea, etc. I reckon it’s because I forgot my afternoon banana on a few occasions.

B - porridge
L - this week beans on toast with poached egg and cottage cheese (2 brown toast, 1/2 tin beans, 1 egg)
D - this week spaghetti with lentil ragu. (It’s 50g spaghetti so small cereal bowl worth, plus parmesan which sets me off!!)

It looks like if there’s hard cheese about I’m tempted.

sorry for asking you yet another question! But the diet advice you have given be has really helped, and I am 9lb lighter in 2 weeks! The question I am looking for help with is fitness as you have really helped me nail down a diet/method that works for me. It isnt actually a diet. I have cut nothing out! I just have better strategy/control!

Anyway enough rabbling! My question is regarding running, I am basically trying to get back to running. The impact on my joints will still be quite hard until I have lost c1 stone more. Should I look to do non-impact cardio and some running? Or should I look to do some strength training also? I strength trained at the weekend. Sat – legs Sunday – upper. My legs are absolutely agony now! And with the calorie restriction I worry that my protein intake perhaps isn’t high enough for weight training. And ultimately my goal is running not strength training! Can I get away with just cardio?

It’s been a few weeks of strength training and I’m noticing growth in muscle now and flab is shrinking but I’m starting to look odd!

Guns - albeit small ones - next to bingo wings, pecs - albeit small ones - next to moobs, quads - albeit small ones - next to flappy groin.

Sorry, forgot to come back to you mate, will do tomorrow

Awsome! Will come back to you re-nutrition stuff tomorrow :blush:

Hey @seanbhoy

Mate, awsome to hear that you’re nailing your diet, seems like you’re in control now & fully understand what’s going on & are focusing on the 1 or 2 big things that do the 90%, instead of the minutiae or faddy stuff that just spins your wheels & leaves you more confused.

Um, so yeah, with the cardio, I’d defo look at low impact options for the time being, like the bike, cross trainer or just brisk walking.

Keep in mind strength training & cardio are different things, even though they both fit under the exercise banner…

Cardio makes you better at cardio, helps to burn more calories & is pretty good for overall health

Strength training makes you better at strength training & contributes to new lean muscle tissue (if the energy supply is there) but, it’s also proven to help you live longer. People with more lean muscle tissue live longer lives (it’s been studied)

So you don’t HAVE to strength train if you don’t want to… but in terms for overall health benefits, strength training is always the clear winner.

For someone overweight, they can still build new muscle tissue even in a caloric deficit, as they’re excess bodyfat is stored energy which can fuel the supply for the demand that the training creates, although it’s not going to be at the best rate possible… but think of it as a nice bonus!

If you are strength training, then yes protein becomes more important, but protein is also great for weight-loss as its very satiating (filling)

I think the governments recommendations are something like 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body .

Please ignore the shit out of that, especially if you’re strength training… (I’d also ignore if if you’re not strength training, as increasing protein intake is proven to help contribute to weightloss)

If you’re strength training:

1.6-2.2 per kg (of total bodyweight if you’re lean, of Lean bodymass if you’re overweight)
0.8-1g per 1lb (of total bodyweight if you’re lean, of Lean bodymass if you’re overweight)

Overweight example, remove your estimated body-fat % (google an image chart & just go with your closest guess-timation) now that’s your LEAN bodymass, so you can now use those numbers to figure out your intake requirements.

Lemme know if this makes sense mate, or if I’ve confused things by babbling on too much about numbers, charts & percentages, etc.

:slight_smile:

Is that when you’re most hungry mate?

When are you least hungry?

What’s your hunger like in the mornings & evenings?

Are you doing any exercise in the morning, before lunch, after lunch?

I know you said you’re eating a decent lunch

**“beans on toast with poached egg and cottage cheese (2 brown toast, 1/2 tin beans, 1 egg”**

so is it that you don’t feel satisfied afterwards or that it comes before lunch & you have to deal with it till you lunch time?

That’s a not a bad looking lunch, might just not be enough to satisfy your hunger, or maybe it s a case of moving some things around in your day, or maybe adding some more protein sources to the meal (pulling the calories from elsewhere in the day)

TBH that was a bit ago and it’s not too bad now. Sometimes I get peckish later afternoon (esp if I forgot banana) I’m on a sweet potato, beans, egg atm and that has been fine. I walk 1.5mi at lunch then eat. Also past week or so I’ll go to work early and leave early so I do my strength training when I get home then eat. This seems better in an evening and hunger hasn’t been much of a factor recently.

A quick question on this, I’ve read you notes about calculating protein for body weight, etc. However, would my body tell me if I wasn’t getting enough protein, if so how? I understand lack of energy = lethargy/tired but is there a protein equivalent?

hmmm, if you we’re getting almost no protein, yeah probably (recovery, hunger, not able to build muscle tissue, even though you’re getting stronger etc), but it’s more the case that you’d see better results when you’re getting enough in hindsight.

The answer that everyone never wants to hear is ‘you have to see how you feel and try it out’ which is a rubbish answer, but anything else would be a flat out lie.

What are you getting at the moment mate? You’re doing some strength training too right? What does that look like & how often?

Ok. I’m still doing baby steps or maybe not pushing enough I don’t know, I won’t go too heavy or go to fail because I’m on my own at home. I try a plank first thing and last thing. I alternate days between upper and lower. Weights only 25kg.

Upper day 1: chest press 3sx10r, bicep curls 3x5. Counter top push ups 3x15
Upper day 3: Upright rows 3sx15r, bent rows 3x15, deadlift 3x10. (cba swapping plates atm) Counter to push ups 3x15
Lower day 2: bodyweight squats 20, bw lunges 10, bw mule kicks 2x20, bw sumo squats 20.
Lower day 4: bw squats/sumo 2x20, leg scissors 20, arse lifts squeeze knees 2x20.

Protein through the week is from porridge, sk milk, beans, egg, pulses/fish. Weekend: eggs, sk milk, chicken, liver. edit: but they are probably smaller portions, usually a hand size tub.

Anyway the weight is still going down and I’ll keep working towards doing a proper push up by the new year.

@Pickle290780, mate to be honest, that seems like a solid plan… I’m really impressed with the routine you’ve put together for yourself. & it’s working for you, so great… don’t change anything, especially if you’re enjoying it & progressing.

You’re right not to go till failure by the way, that only leads to possible injuries… there’s no need to go to failure.

Re - protein, how much are you getting on a daily basis?

I’m not sure how much protein I’m eating that’s why I asked if my body would tell me in some way. I don’t measure porridge but probably 1 cup. 1 egg, 1/2 tin baked beans at lunch, but dinner in an evening can vary especially with batch cooking pulses. Anyway I’m having 2 chicken thighs today and tomorrow.

Ok cool, so what I’d suggest is over the next week or so, just for a test keep a lose track on your protein intake… jot it down on paper or into myfitnesspal, just to get an idea of what you’re getting & you’ll be able to take an objective look afterwards and see if it needs to be upped slightly

I’d probably advise to make just a little conscious effort to try and up it a little bit :slight_smile:

Hey guys, I’ve been fine tuning the consultation stuff that I’ve been doing recently

I’ve attached the questions I’ve been asking if anyone wants to see.

Initially there was less questions, but I kept finding that I still needed to dig much deeper as they weren’t giving me a detailed insight… I then added more but found it was too much,

So I’ve found that this current set up gives me the best insight to be able to give the best feedback.

Feel free to have a little nose :slight_smile:

EDIT: It won’t let me upload the doc, so I’ll copy & paste it.

###############################################

Consultation Questionnaire

Hey, It’s Nas! :slight_smile:

Here’s your Consultation Questionnaire:

I typically spend about 2 hour’s (sometimes more) looking over, gathering information & writing each reply to consultation forms in great detail (unless it’s a skype call, in which case you have me on skype for an hour, but then I also follow up with a written summary which is even more time) .

The point is I try to put as much into this as I possibly can to give you the very best service on this side of the Galaxy & it’s your answers alone that give me the insight to be able to help you, so please do take this serious & complete this consultation form only when you can 100% fully focus on it, with minimal distractions. (It should take you about 15-30mins)

IMPORTANT:
Before you get started on the Consultation Questionnaire, make sure you read this first: http://bodywithscience.com/complete-guide/

Seriously, make sure you read that first… it will answer a lot of questions for you & my replies will make much more sense to you.

What Happens Next?

After you complete the questionnaire, email your updated version with your answers back to me by replying to this email.

If we’re doing an email consultation, I’ll come back to you with a recommended plan of action within 48 hours (not including weekends).

If we’re doing a skype based consultation, then we’ve already booked a date our diaries, so I’ll put together a recommended plan of action before our skype call & we’ll then walk through it together & answer any further questions you have.

For both email & skype based consultations, we’ll also arrange your follow up check-in to see how you’re getting on & to make any tweaks or changes to your nutrition & training if need be, but we’ll cover this next time.

How To Answer

1 – All my questions are in bold, please write all your answers in ‘non-bold, italic text’ underneath each question. I’ve left some examples for you to see.

2 – Please write clearly, paying attention to good formatting so I can fully understand your answers.

The No Smartphone Rule (Non-negotiable):

Our emails create a trail of communication that’s easy to look back over when we need to review.

We’ll be sending back & forth very detailed information, which tends to get royally naffed up by screwing up the formatting and sizing when being done on a smartphone.

It’s also super easy to get distracted when having the wonderful world wide web at our fingertips.

Our coaching communication will be very in depth and detailed, therefore attention & focus is paramount.
The No Smartphone rule eliminates all these issues.

Please do not send email to me from your smartphone, as I’ll have to decline to work with you (sorry)

Let’s dive in!

All About You:

Name?
Age?
Sex?
Current weight?
Any medical issues?
Do you smoke?
Country of residence?
Who do you live with?
What do you do for a living?

Tell me a little bit more about yourself in your own words - lifestyle, job, family & household environment & anything else about you, your environment & your daily life.

_EG: I’m a nutrition & training coach, living with the Mrs in Cardiff, Uk. I love all the geeky science stuff behind nutrition & training get a kick out of reading the latest research. I’m also a massive sports fan especially basketball & boxing (I used to live in the USA… & Spain) Huge family, active social life (blame the Mrs) and we love to travel when we get the chance, but… we’ve just bought a new home, so ‘bye bye’ travel money :frowning:

I left the fitness industry a long time ago because I was sick of how scammy it became, but after getting out of shape myself & then back into great shape, I found out first hand how bad it feels to suffer in silence & realised that it’s my moral duty to help get the truth out to people & not let them be scammed by slick marketing. So that’s me! :slight_smile:

All About Your Goals:

**Would you say that you’re currently: **

1 - In good shape - Ok with your current body but want to improve it
2 - Out of shape - Unhappy with your current body & want to improve it
3 – Overweight - Need to make improvements before serious medical issues arise

Replace this text with your own answer

What about when you we’re growing up? ( in shape, out of shape, or overweight)

Tell me about the food environment of your household when you were growing up?

What about your parents/guardians &/or siblings?

What bodyfat level would you estimate you currently are based on the picture below?
Bodyfat Men & Women

How active is your daily life?

1 – Sedentary (desk job & little to no exercise)
2 - Sedentary (desk job & exercise 3+ times per week)
3 – Active (on your feet all day & little to no exercise)
4 - Active (on your feet all day & exercise 3+ times per week)

Do you suffer with high stress levels? (If so, tell me more about it)

What about your sleeping habits/patterns (how many hours, times, consistency, shift work etc)

Do you feel supported by people around you? (Tell me about them)

Tell me about any weight/diet/training changes over the past few weeks/months

Tell me about any weight/diet/training changes over the past year or two

What’s your #1 ultimate long-term goal (1+ year)

EG: I want to lose 30lbs of bodyfat for my family holiday to Florida next summer

Why?

EG: So I can feel comfortable at the beach & in the swimming pool

Why is that ^ important to you?

EG: Because I know I’ll avoid those things if I’m not comfortable

EG: So I can do all those things with my kids & create some great memories for them

EG: Because I want them to look back at those photos in 10/20/30 years & know how much I loved them

(This is your real reason, or we’re getting very close to it, feel free to keep digging deeper if you can)

EG: Because my dad always avoided playing with me at the beach/pool & I always thought it was because he was bored or couldn’t be bothered with me. Maybe he suffered with the same issue as me, but I spent years thinking it was something else & I don’t want my kids to ever feel that way.

Tell me about 1 or 2 Short term goals (for the next 3, 6, 12 months etc)

Any trips, holidays, weddings, reunions coming up soon that are driving you?

Have any active hobbies?

What do you do to relax?

When do you feel most energetic?

When do you feel least energetic?

What do you think is the biggest thing getting in the way of your goals?

Nutrition/Diet Stuff:

**Would you say your current nutrition is: **

**1 Pretty good, **
2 Could be better
3 Bad

What makes you say that?

Tell me about your Nutrition & Diet history

EG: I’ve pretty much been keeping tabs on my nutrition for the past 15 years or so, sometimes excessively, sometimes very loosely. I try to keep a much more flexible approach these days to fit it into my life rather than fit my life into my diet. I’ve tracked my intake for long enough that I can now pretty much eyeball things up & enjoy a relaxed approach, so I only really track everything meticulously if I’m trying to lean down for a holiday abroad or something similar.

I’ve tried every diet in the book, keto, low carb, fasting, even tried a veggie diet for 6 weeks… I find it so much easier to track overall calories & protein, nothing else. Doing this removes restrictions and as long as I get about 80% of my food from good healthy sources, I know I can have treats pretty often and siply fit them into the other 20% of my daily diet.

Tell me about your current nutrition/diet

EG: I’m currently maintaining my weight & tracking calories & protein, 2000 calories per day and I’m shooting for at least 100g of protein every day. My weight has been stable for the past month give or take 1lb here or there, so it seems to be working.

What does typical day of nutrition/diet look like for you?

Do you eat similar stuff each day, or does it vary from day to day?

Do you prefer a diet based on Structure or flexibility?

Do you understand the fundamental law of fat loss? (energy expenditure/calories in v calories out)

Have you ever counted calories?

Are you currently counting calories?

If yes, How many, How long have you been consuming this amount for, Are you losing weight on this amount?

If you have previously or are currently tracking calories, do you:

1- prefer it
2 - bear with it
3 – hate it (you don’t have to count calories if you really don’t want to)

If you are tracking calories, do you think you’d do better having the same amount every day, or do you think you’d do better looking at a weekly total, so you can have more flexibility and allowing more calories on some days & less calories on other days? (kinda like the 5:2 diet)

Tell me about your protein intake? (do you know how much you’re getting?)

What foods sources is your protein intake coming from?

What’s your # 1 struggle with nutrition/diet?

What else are you struggling with?

What works or is going well for you?

Tell me about the foods you really enjoy?

Tell me about the foods you really dislike?

Tell me about foods you crave when you eliminate or heavily restrict them?

Tell me about any ‘trigger’ foods that you can’t control yourself around?

When does this usually happen & what do you think sets if off? (time of day, environment, trigger foods close at hand, stress, boredom, something else?)

Do you drink many liquid calories (sugary drinks, milk shakes, sodas, milky hot drinks etc etc)?

Get much fruit?

What about vegetables? (especially green veggies)

Do you wake up hungry or does the thought of breakfast make you sick?

When are you usually most hungry?

When are you usually least hungry?

Tell me about your hydration & fluid intake? (water, coffee, tea etc)

Tell me about any dietary restrictions? (religious, medical, ethical etc)

Who does most of the cooking in your house?

What does mealtime/dinnertime look like in your household? (sat at the table talking, sat in front of the TV, eating alone on your own schedule, working on the laptop while eating, etc)

Do you drink alcohol? (how often & how much?)

Do you suspect any foods don’t agree with you? Why do you think that?

Do you avoid any foods because you’ve heard or been told that they’re ‘bad for you’?

Do you have any other pre-existing beliefs about food/nutrition/diet? What are they & where did you get these beliefs from?

Do you avoid any foods for any other reason? (health, medical, religion, ethical reasons)

Do you buy much food/eat on the go? (grab & go lunch) Give me an example:

Do you take your own food to work?

Do you eat out a lot? How often? Do you have a ‘go to’ dish?

What about ‘ready’ meals & takeaways?

What do you think is the biggest thing getting in the way of your success with your nutrition & diet?

What do you think are some simple things you could do to increase your chances of success?

Do you have any of your own diet habit or behaviour ‘hacks’ that have been working for you?

Is there anything you’re unsure of or confused about?

What do you need me to help & support you with?

Training/Exercise:

Any current ailments that physically restrict you in any way?
(joint pain, injuries, arthritis, fractures, nerve damage etc)

EG: I have scar tissue in my left achilles heel, so I wear special squat shoes with a raised heel when squatting to avoid pain. I also have arthritis in my left knee from having surgery to repair a torn patella tendon years ago & running/jogging leaves my knee aching, so I use my stationary bike or go for a brisk walk for my cardio to keep stress off my knee.

Tell me about your exercise history

EG: Very sporty in my youth, played high level national league sports & was very fast & athletic. I also did a lot of martial arts and boxing in my youth. In my later 20’s till early 30’ most of my exercise was based around strength training & getting physically stronger, but currently in my mid 30’s, my main focus has been on staying healthy & keeping in good overall shape with a combination of strength training & light cardio.

Do you have access to a gym?

What are your thought on going to the gym & why? (Like it, put up with it, hate it?)

Are you currently exercising? If no, why not? If yes, what are you currently doing & how often & how long have you been doing it for & what are you trying to achieve from it?

EG: I’m currently strength training 3-4 times per week & I do some light cardio 3-4 times per week (brisk walk or on my stationary bike). I’m currently losing weight & lifting weights to retain my muscle tissue & doing the light cardio to aid my diet & burn a few extra calories (so I can eat a little more)

If yes, are you enjoying your current routine? Why/why not?

What else do you enjoy exercise wise?

What do you dislike?

Do you understand that nutrition comes first for fat loss & exercise comes second?

Tell me about any exercise restrictions or exercises you avoid? Why?

What’s your # 1 struggle with exercise?

Anything else you struggling with regarding exercise?

What works or is going well for you?

Do you tend to skip a lot of workouts? How often? Why?

What do you think is the biggest thing getting in the way of your success with exercise?

What do you think are some simple things you could do to increase your chances of success?

Do you have any of your own exercise motivation habits or behaviour ‘hacks’ that have been working for you?

Is there anything you’re unsure of or confused about?

Tracking Progress:

What are your expectations of progress?

How has progress been going recently?

What have you been doing to track your progress?

Do you own scales?

Do you own a tape measure?

Are you aware that scale weight can change on a daily basis, due to water weight, food intake, stress etc?

Is there anything you’re unsure of or confused about when it comes to tracking progress?

Previous help:

Have you previously sought help?

What for?

Who with?

Did you pay for their help/service or was it free?

How long did you work with them for?

How did it go?

What did you learn (if anything)?

Anything else that you want to ask me or are unsure about?

That’s it!

Kinda long, right? I know, sorry… but look, I now have a TON of information about you, your goals, needs, likes, dislikes, habits, behaviours, and so much more.
So I can really give you some great feedback & recommendations based only on what’s best for YOU!

I’m not a ‘one size fits all’ coach, what’s the point in that? You’re a unique individual & we need to plan everything around YOU.
Anyway, thanks so much for taking this serious & giving me detailed answers to work with, a re-cap of what happens next is below!

Nas :slight_smile:

What Happens Next?

After you complete the questionnaire, email your updated version with your answers back to me by replying to this email.

If we’re doing an email consultation, I’ll come back to you with a recommended plan of action within 48 hours (not including weekends).

If we’re doing a skype based consultation, then we’ve already booked a date our diaries, so I’ll put together a recommended plan of action before our skype call & we’ll then walk through it together & answer any further questions you have.
For both email & skype based consultations, we’ll also arrange your follow up check-in to see how you’re getting on & to make any tweaks or changes to your nutrition & training if need be, but we’ll cover this next time.

#######################################################################

End… so yeah, that’s what I’ve been using recently & I’m finding it works really well for digging out the right details to give the right feedback,

Seem a bit long, I know… especially compared to what I’ve seen others are doing, but I’ve found that if somebody is really serious they’ll happily spend the time to go into a bit more detail to get things sorted once & for all :slight_smile:

Answering a private question on here as it may be helpful for others :slight_smile:

Sorry, sorry sorry sorry, I know… 10 millions things going on & trying to put out fires everywhere atm lol

I usually prefer to give a longer, more detailed answer to more detailed questions like this, & I promise I will asap

But in short just for right now,

1 Yep, you got it!

2 Bingo!

3 The fat burning zone is actually a myth, all activity burns fat, it’s just the ‘fat burning zone’ (60-75% of predicted max heart rate… which is a flaw in itself as everyone’s heart rate is different & not set based on age/weight etc) or lets call it 'low to medium intensity cardio (liss - miss) burns more calories directly during the actual session

Where as high intensity exercise, burns more glycogen/carbs to fuel the intense session, but ends up burning around the same amount of overall calories when all is said & done

High intensity is actually much more efficient on a time for time basis, BUT, it’s not sustainable for as long… so it’s a trade off. Low intensity for longer or high intensity for shorter, for pretty much the same amount of overall calories

low intensity is easier to recover from, so you can do it almost daily, high intensity is much harder to recover from so you’d have to limit it (1-3x per week MAX)

So you could actually DO a lot more lower intensity, over the course of the week.

So it’s a personal preference dude

4 Only if you’re stalling, no need to restrict food if you don’t need to

I don’t fully understand the last question sorry, are you asking if muscle can build fast enough to cancel out fat loss scale weight, thus staying the same weight whilst losing fat & so confusing you as to if you’re losing fat or not?

If so, it’s almost always no (without drugs or god-like genetics) as muscle tissue take a long time to build, even for a total beginner who can gain new muscle at a super fast rate compared to more experience people… muscle gain will be significantly slower than the rate of easy fat loss

So even if somebody was gaining muscle whilst losing fat, the fat loss would still be very clear (at least in terms of comparing the two via scale weight only)

Let’s say we’re talking about the lower end of fat loss ration, about 1lb per week

now for a newbie, he can gain approx 2lbs of muscle per month (lets say that’s a 3/4lb total gain as fat will come with muslce gain when in a calorie surplus)

Now, if said person is in a calorie deficit, they’re not going to gain that upper threshold of 2lbs per month, it will likely be much less

But, let’s imagine you’re getting the low end of fat loss & are somehow still able to gain the maximum rate of new muscle gain (not possible, but humor me)

1lb fat loss per week

2lb muscle gain per month (that’s half a lbs per week)

So even in this extreme (almost impossible) case,

You’d still be seeing 3/4 of a lb loss per week

What’s more likely to happen is something like this… & this is just for a random example, so don’t assume these numbers

2lbs per week fat loss, and 1/4lb per week muscle gain

which would still be 1 & 3/4 fat loss per week

Hope this makes sense? :slight_smile:

Good evening @maxnas

A quick update, I haven’t done any strength training for a fortnight due to a cold and CBA, but I will now.

If I believe my scales I am at my NYE target of >250lbs already. Until then I want to stay between 245-250 but nail this strength training into a habit and do a f-ing push up!

I’m going to eat more protein (meat + 1 shake) and up my calories (finances permitting) until NYE to hopefully help with strength training.

Do you have any tips for maintaining weight?
And how to approach coming back to training after a few weeks off?
Finally, it’s essentially a 6 week challenge, I won’t go too hard but is there anything I should watch out for when stepping up a level*?
(*frequency, intensity and weight)

Ta love.