Ask a PT & Nutritionist Anything

Great thanks, over a week works well for me as there are days where because of various reasons i will go over my daily target but if I can make it up by bejng better the next day or the day before then I don’t need to stress over it so much!

Thanks for the help!

Bingo! :slight_smile:

Sorry, another question!
I would like to start some strength training but I am a complete novice, I have access to a gym at work but in truth I don’t know how much weight I shoukd lift or how many reps, any advice?

Yes, absolutely.

Give me a day or two & I’ll tag you in a complete ‘beginner strength training program’ that I’ve put together, which will be flexible to accomodate your own needs, time & equipment.

It’s on the way asap! :slight_smile:

Great thanks!

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before or not. I didn’t want to scroll through 425 messages to find it.

Simple enough question, I think. What exactly constitutes good exercise for weight loss purposes.? Is it just getting your heart rate up? Or is there more to it?

Absolutely anything you enjoy mate :slight_smile:

Getting your heart rate up is more sport specific/fitness related (ability to perform better/longer etc)

As far as fat loss, you could burn the same amount of calories doing a 60 min walk that you could doing a 20-30 min jog/run.

Higher intensity just means you’ll be using more during that period, lower intensity means you’ll be burning less but for longer as the session will be longer… basically balancing each other out

Hope this makes sense mate?

So something like this under the desk bycicle thing, would constitute exercise?

Seems like it’d be under that low intensity category.

Yeah its movement which requires energy/calories, but you’re not using your legs to move your entire body weight, just the weight of your legs themselves, so it would be extremely low volume… but, if you’re using them for a prolonged period of time you could make up for the low volume

I dont think it would make any significant difference, but every little helps, it all ads up

Does it come with any ideas of calories burned? or intensity/HR level expected? I work from home a lot and sit at a desk quite a bit so this could be interesting!

There’s no real way of tracking calories burned via exercise unless you’re hooked up to a machine that’s actually measuring your breathing, everything else is just a random generic estimate. Honestly, I don’t think the money spent is worth the return on investment, even for a lowley 20 quid.

I mean by all means add it to the mix if you want to, but don’t expect it to do anything noticable by itself.

What is your opinion on the “fat burning zone”?
Low intensity exercises burn a higher percentage of “fat calories” in relation to “total calories”???

I would still burn more calories with high intensity and more fat calories but it would be a lower percentage.???
What is a “fat calorie”? Is it a calorie that is also trying to lose weight?
Puzzled…

This is just designed to purposely confuse people mate,

Think of the opposite scenario, if your maintenance is 2000 cals & you’re eating 1800, you’re in a calorie deficit & will lose weight.

It doesn’t matter if more of those calories are coming from fats or from carbs, it’s the total energy/calories that count.

This is just the opposite end, energy going out, it doesn’t matter where the energy going out is being pulled from during the session, what matters is the total overall energy output

High intensity will burn more overall calories on a time by time equated basis (more effort = more calories) but can’t be sustained as long as lower intensity,

So, for example, you could do high intensity effort for say 20 mins, and a lower-mid intensity for 60 mins & burn around the same amount overall

High effort will used mostly stored carbs to fuel the SESSION, low effort will use more stored fat to fuel the SESSION,

But when it comes to fat loss, the session isn’t the important part, the overall energy in/out balance is the important part.

EG: you could do a ton of low intensity exercise every day, but if you’re over eating (energy surplus) you won’t lose fat, so the session isn’t the important part, the total balance is the important part (the session is just a contribution)

high > low, takes less time to get the same overall job done, but hard to recover from meaning can’t be performed as often

low > high, takes longer, but easy to recover from & can performed pretty much daily

Hope I’m making sense?

Yes, thanks.

Is there a good, beginner, set of exercises to start exercising in your home w/out using any weights or…anything then your own body? I mean, like pushups, situps, squats ect.

Ideally the goal would be to burn calories, but a little muscle gain wouldn’t hurt either.

Hi mate, I’ll make a home/body-weight workout (flexible) will let you know when its done :slight_smile:

Hey guys, I’ve been making some infographs lately, who can relate to this one?

Guilty! :raised_hand: :raised_hand: :raised_hand: :raised_hand: :blush: lol!

Love this.

My pattern is the same, BUT, my calorie count is about 500 per day lower, plus a bit of exercise, so my weight loss is 1-2lbs a week.

My point is you can work hard during the week, relax a bit at the weekend and lose weight. Going full on 24/7 is unsustainable.

Abdolutely, I just make sure the week is balanced out and hit my daily protein… simples! :slight_smile: