Ask a Qualified Dietitian anything

A very informed question Alex, but i’m afraid the answer is a little unclear in many respects, certainly form a total health pov. Firstly although a ‘ketosis’ styled diet is VERY (and I mean very) difficult to follow and actually induce a state of ketosis, you state ‘approach’ which is good, you obviously are aware that hitting ketosis and monitoring using keto sticks to measure blood is a challenge.

However if we assume a low carb diet is what most are following then we would of course suggest one avoids trans fats, particularly man made varieties such as hydrogenated fats found in crisps, choc etc etc.
This leaves the cold pressed options such as coconut oil, avocado and its oil, grass fed butter and beef, organic nut butters and the likes of. Of course, we know that nutrition is ever evolving and consequently any amounts of fat in your diet at your own discretion.

Remember any high fat and protein diet should be alongside plenty of green leafy veg by design, take the lion eating the antelope, the lion ingests ALL of the antelope including the stomach and intestines meaning inherently they consume meat, fat as well as plant based foods. So if nature is anything to go by it is crucial we get the veg in alongside a high protein and fat diet.

Off on a slight tangent there sorry.

An interesting topic for convo for sure.

Tom

1 Like

Hi Steven, the key point there is ‘want’, there is no one diet that necessarily suits one individual but if a lower carb way of eating is your preference then generally it is agreed that refined carbs are the first to get the chop (as is the case anyway as offer no value)!

Refined carbs being the likes of table sugar, sweets, choc, cake, biscuits and so on. Alongside this is semi refined carbs/starches like white pasta, short grain white rice (basmati is generally ok), white potatoes, bread esp white bread. Cereals are a no no esp sweetened varieties like coco pops, crunchy nut etc, and even corn flakes and the so-called better options. The only cereals that are a go are Weetabix and oats generally, these offer fibre and some fortified vits and mins (vitamins added to the cereal by law).

Total carb reduction is hard as it is nice and probably advisable to have some starch with a main meal including sweet potato, basmati rice or some starchy veg e.g. carrots, corn, peas, beans and pulses in general. If you are to reduce carbs even lower than I suppose these would need to be limited to half a clenched fist size (as a simplistic guide).

Hope this helps

Tom

Of course if we are going for low carb then actually, even

Martin hi, yes there are.
Lets start with the foods to add in…

High fibre foods, especially soluble fibre. These include oats, beans, peas and pulses. Starting the day with a 40g bowl of oats (adding a lower fat milk such as plant based milk or semi-skimmed variety) will help to lower LDL and vLDL (also oLDL) cholesterol which leads to arterial plaques. This soluble type of fibre also adds bulk to faeces which increases transit rate of fat through body meaning we absorb less bad fat (basically).

Following this with an antioxidant dense snack or drink such as a fresh berry smoothie or hand full or two of mixed berries is great to limit risk of arterial plaques and inflammation.

Always good to add lots of insoluble fibre such as fruit and veg with main meals to work with the soluble fibre you had from brekkie (oats). Insoluble fibre draws fluid into bowel and soluble fibre soaks it up to form a soft stool and eradicating excess fat.

Now the thing to remember is that dietary cholesterol i.e. the cholesterol we get directly from food does NOT effect internal cholesterol levels, it is high trans fat foods that primarily effects internal cholesterol. Therefore eggs are fine if kept to 2-3 per day, and consumed alongside the high fibre foods such as oats, beans peas pulses and nuts. Nuts like plain almonds, walnuts, pecans etc are high fibre and antioxidant foods to be added to diet.

Hopefully this is a good place to start Martin.

Tom

Great stuff, one thing to add is that Italian Olive oil has been identified as being sub standard of late. Not to cause fear as generally they are fine but not necessarily what made out to be on the label. However compared to Greek oils you have a significantly better quality grade of oil from Greece at the moment. Some unscrupulous olive oil manufacturers in Italy were cutting the oil it seems. Not to believe all that you read in the papers but >>> https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2016/02/10/the-olive-oil-scam-if-80-is-fake-why-do-you-keep-buying-it/#47854f10639d
and I have seen various sources similar to this.
Not sure if they have managed to rectify the supply chain yet or not, but worth notice perhaps.

Tom

Thanks, yes it was those refined carbs I was thinking about. I was reading about carbs in other types of food that are healthy types of food like sweet potato and oatmeal, so I think I would be OK with. It’s that cakes and biscuits stuff I want to avoid.

Didn’t know that about Italian live oil, that is good to know thanks.
I am Greek so I prefer Greek olive oil anyway as it has a bit more “punch”.

What I did know is that a very “reputable” brand of “italian” branded products found in all major supermarkets actually produces it’s oil in the states using a mixture of olives from a variety of countries.

I will also agree that following a ketogenic diet is difficult, especially at the beginning where you don’t know what to avoid and how much you can eat of a specific food before it “kicks you out of ketosis”. However as times goes by you know better and you try different foods that you weren’t eating before.

The BEST thing about this approach is that it forces you to MAKE your own food to take to work as almost everything that is included in a meal deal is full of carbs, trans fats and sugar.

Just the fact that you will be eating real food, “keto-friendly” or not, is big plus.

I think there’s a LOT of unscrupulous behaviour going on with fats and condiments in general - you’d think even with fats in bottles there couldnt be much that you’d expect to find in there beyond what you were expecting, I got some coconut oil from let’s call it “One of the cheap pound shops” recently and it was made up of 4 ingredients, including 3 separate fat products!

I’ve had peanut butter from one of the major manufacturers, and it was probably the most diluted in terms of actual peanuts and additives againsts the own brand stuff. Crazy.

All this stuff really points us to checking labels thoroughly.

Thanks for your answer @TomIrvNutr23 , I’m highly interested in keto lifestyle and the ingredients that make you feel good, I’ve noticed a real change to my day to day energy and general mood depending on the sort of fats I consume I eat whilst eliminating simple starchy carbs.

As an example, I’d cooked a beef joint a couple of Sundays ago, and kept the beef dripping/tallow that came off the meat - and then let it cool in the fridge.

Using that particular fat then for further cooking - I felt a real hit of energy from it, whereas using coconut oil, butter etc it just wouldnt affect me like that. I’m convinced this is something to do with the type of fat it is, and how it’s ingested by the body.

I have the cals for the bread I use, when I spread some butter on it, how can I count those cals? I don’t have a measurement, but I certainly don’t dump loads on. The same goes for ketchup - I don’t drown anything in it, should I try to count it?

Excuse me for interjecting here, but I always count butter and ketchup and the like. They all add up. There is usually a suggested/typical serving amount on the package, and in MFP they have the calorie counts for them as well. Butter is like 36kcal for 5g, which is about a teaspoon. Ketchup/HP sauce is a similar amount for a tablespoon.

1 Like

Thanks…do think a spread on toast would be about 5g?

I’d say so. One slice with a bit on the end of your knife. It depends how much butter you like. I’ve seen my mother spread like a centimetre thick…definitely not 5g! :smiley:

Hi,

I have a couple of questions:

How can I control my addiction towards junk food on particular chocolate?

Also is there such thing as binge eating disorder?hard a lot about it wasn’t sure if it was a myth or is real a thing. If it is how would you know it is a problem and can you get help for it.

Are there any dangers with forgoing breakfast? I know, the first time you eat in a day is essentially breakfast but I am getting earache for not not eating until until about 2.00pm, due to the fact that I am simply not hungry.

I might have something to eat as late as 10.00pm. Should I start eating earlier and stop eating earlier?

Do stomach acids or anything else I am clueless about increase the risk of disease if they are not processing any food?

I know the questions sound stupid but I am just being nagged at so much by someone.