Borehamwood Season 3!

Hi everyone,

Welcome to Man v Fat Football at Borehamwood. For those who haven’t met me yet, I’m Mark Hughes the League’s coach and will be supported by Ben Gallon for this coming season.

On this forum, I will be posting weekly updates about what has happened on and off the pitch from the previous week. I’ll also post any information that can help you throughout your weight loss journey, and if you have a topic in mind please do let me know.

This week I’ve got a few useful tips from the British Dietetic Association (BDA) to help you get started :

First of all, write down your reasons and motivation for wanting to embark on this programme to lose weight and change your lifestyle. I know this may sound pointless but it can be very helpful to look back on if you’re having an off week.

Set yourself realistic goals . For example, losing just 5-10% of your body weight has significant health benefits. This can boost confidences and get your name on a certificate from yours truly. Not to mention the extra goals for your team.

Learn more about your eating patterns by keeping a food diary and track your progress (MAN v FAT player handbook). This doesn’t take long to fill out and can help you identify problems you might not have seen before.

Choose two or three small changes . You can start with “I will increase my fruit/vegetable intake to 2 portions per day” or I will reduce my fizzy drinks from 3 to 2 per day” and so on. When successful in making these changes, you can move on to more challenges and/or build on the ones you have already established.

Ask for the right support – it could be a friend, teammate, health professional, myself or the website (https://manvfat.com). This has information on weight loss stories such as “Amazing Losers” and forums with other players sharing their experiences.

REMEMBER – There is no quick fix. Accept that the occasional slip up is normal and that it’s not the end of the world. Get straight back on track. Don’t let a slip make you lose sight of your overall goals and the progress you have made.

A few reminders for Friday –

Please arrive 30 minutes before your kick off to be weighed

Bring shin pads and some water

Appropriate footwear e.g. Astros or moulds. No mental studs/heels, please

Have enough time to have a good warm up to prevent injuries (and to get to know your teammates)

Bring your filled in Man v Fat player handbook

See you on Friday!

Mark

2 Likes

Hi Mark