Calorie counting or otherwise artificially reducing your food intake is a waste of time and life

Yep, @Tetsugaku I agree with @Jaxom that I’m happy to participate in a group that you outline in advance how it would work, I’d be really interested to hear more.

I’m all for people bursting bubbles but I think some of the ones you’re trying to burst (e.g. calorie counting) are ones that work for many people, I can show you many, many Amazing Losers who are living proof of it. So until you’re prepared to outline the method that is in every way better than this then people will always get a bit het up.

I’m proud that MVF is a diet agnostic place. If you find a method and it leads you to a healthier place then go for it. For example a doctor would balk at @CatManDo’s methods, but you know what - it works for him and he stands by it and I think we all have to support each other in this. Plenty of paths lead to a healthier you!

I balk at @CatManDo s methods. That guy is insane! :wink:

Cheers Womble!

sorry but your statement “Calorie control is a LIE” is 100% completely incorrect and has been proven thousands of times over & over again to be the core basis of all weight change.

The reality of it is this:

Remember this one line and you’ll never have to struggle for the ‘truth’ and be sucked in by fales & hype marketing lies ever again…

IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOUR WEIGHT IN EITHER DIRECTION, UP OR DOWN, YOU HAVE TO CREATE AN IMBALANCE BETWEEN THE ENERGY YOU CONSUME AND THE ENERGY YOU EXPEND.

It’s a simple science, infact its an unequivocal law of the universive, just like gravity. It’s called thermogenisis.

that’s 99% of the battle, once you figure this out you can simply structure your eating habits around this.

I’m actually a very big fan of intuitive eating… once your’e at a point where you’re happy with your current body/shape etc

but here’s where the possible problems start with intuitive eating if you’re overweight

you’re metabolic rate and TDEE is set by your genetics, current physical body mass and activity levels, so you’re body will crave the amount of calories that it needs to remain in it’s CURRENT state… the overweight state. The human body will fight to stay in a constant state of homeostasis

to lose weight we need to consume less than we we need to maintain our current body mass…

Here’s the good news…

because we KNOW it’s 99% energy (calories) in vs out, we no longer have to worry about the types of food or food sources when it comes to weight loss

we can consume the things we love (in moderation of course because health is just as important, who wants to look good but be unhealthy on the inside?) as long as we fit them into our daily allowane/intake etc etc

myself, I use the 80/20 rule

80% good whole healthy food & 20% anything I want, and 100% fits into my daily calorie allowance (currently still leaning out on 2500 calories)

so if I’ve eaten 2000 calories, for the day, and i’ve hit my essential macronutrient intakes for health and training purposes (that’s another topic in itself), and I know that my body will still take on board another 500 calories and still lose weight, then I can quite literally do whatever I like with that 500 calories…

no matter if it’s ice cream, chocolate, bread, steak, pasta, popcorn etc etc etc

plus, there’s so many smart phone apps that take the counting completely out of the equation… myfitness pal for example does it all for you.

best of all worlds

1. know exactly how much your body needs instead of spinning your wheels for years, or decades trying to find that ‘perfect diet’

2. you don;t have to do any counting, just tap your daily goal into myfitnesspal and scan the barcode on stuff as you go though your day

3. eat and drink the stuff you love, just keep within your daily allowance

4. lose weight easily through science and mathematics

if this is too hard then I really don;t know what to tell you, you’ll spend the rest of your life looking for that golden goose without getting results, or at best getting temporary results and never knowing why those results really happened.

Here it is simplified in a nutshell

How To Lose Fat!

1 - Create a calorie deficit.
2 - Choose a diet that obtains number 1.
3 - Make sure number 2 is one you enjoy and can stick to.

adherence is key… that’s why crazy restrictive diets don’t usually work. while they may sound good on paper, if you can’t stick to it, you won’t get results

so throw the ‘diet’ part out of the window and go straight to the source (calorie deficit)

then you can eat exactly how you like, now it’s your own personal diet that you enjoy…

and you’re getting results because your in a caloric deficit and you can stick to it because you’re satisfied with your food choices

last post, just a reminder as this will literally determine your success:

“IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOUR WEIGHT IN EITHER DIRECTION, UP OR DOWN, YOU HAVE TO CREATE AN IMBALANCE BETWEEN THE ENERGY YOU CONSUME AND THE ENERGY YOU EXPEND.”

PS - if this sounds like too much hassle, consider this.

this is the ONLY body your’re ever going to have, once it’s worn out, you’re gone… this is it!

do you drive your car around intuitively and refuse to track your petrol/gas?

do you spend your money intuitively and refuse to keep an eye on your bank account? (maybe, if you’re poor… but money conscious people don’t)

do you run your business intuitively or do you track and manage your business via stats and analysis?

now, isn’t the ONLY body you’re ever gonna have a lil bit more important than all those other things?

@maxnas 100% agree with everything you’ve said.

It’s a massive oversimplification, but yes, that is the basic formula.

here’s a simplified version of everything I’ve just said:

“Create a calorie deficit”

lol :blush:

Eh, I reduced my calorie intake to 1500 per day, went to the gym 4 days a week and lost 42lbs in half a year.
I also have a bmi of 20 now and my comfortable running pace is a 7.5 minute mile for a 10k.

Maybe it won’t work for you, but it worked for me. I’m maintaining now and can eat around 1900 a day which is more than enough to feel full and not think about food.

One thing also is that if one is managing calories and macronutrients with a specific goal in mind (build muscle, lower fat percentage etc.) “mindful eating” where one eats when he/she feels like it will not work. There is a reason it is called “Nutrition Science” and not “nutrition feel good approach” :wink: . Even with planning I am still within ± 50-75 calories each day and within a few grams of the macronutrient balance I want to get to. I’d be pretty off if I ate just when I felt hungry.

awsome! well done mate :blush:

Well this is going to take ages to reply to, so first a definition:

Mindful Eating is:

• Allowing yourself to become aware of the positive and nurturing opportunities that are available through food selection and preparation by respecting your own inner wisdom.
  • Using all your senses in choosing to eat food that is both satisfying to you and nourishing to your body.
  • Acknowledging responses to food (likes, dislikes or neutral) without judgment.
  • Becoming aware of physical hunger and satiety cues to guide your decisions to begin and end eating.

Someone Who Eats Mindfully:

• Acknowledges that there is no right or wrong way to eat but varying degrees of awareness surrounding the experience of food.
  • Accepts that their eating experiences are unique.
  • Is an individual who by choice, directs their attention to eating on a moment-by-moment basis.
  • Gains awareness of how they can make choices that support health and well-being.
  • Becomes aware of the interconnection of earth, living beings, and cultural practices and the impact of their food choices on those systems.

From http://www.thecenterformindfuleating.org/Principles-Mindful-Eating And it’s one that’s probably as good as any.

Secondly my proposal for running the group would be:

Same as any other group we check in twice a day and talk about how our eating has gone as well as our experiences of the Mindfullness eating itself.

In preparation I don’t think there would be anything more to it than reading a couple of books before we start (or listening to them if you are audio book inclined).

If anyone who is in the group with me, gives it a fair go and gets to the end and thinks it was a waste of time, I’ll happily buy the books off them and pay postage etc. I’ve given away atleast 10 copies of one of them so far so I’m happy to have more. A used copy from Amazon will be less than a fiver each.

@admin - seem fair enough?

Who said they wanted to give it a whirl and what date can we set to start it?

Can we set the group up now to put the support info / book links in?

Third post of four - apologies for not posting back earlier to prove you all wrong but frankly I was hung over on Sunday and couldn’t move. I did carve out half an hour on Saturday but managed to get back home with the the kids too late and had to prep a party. So instead at half seven tonight I’ll tip tap out a longer reply proving how wrong you all are ok?