Calorie counting or otherwise artificially reducing your food intake is a waste of time and life

i haven’t forgotten :slight_smile: I’ll be there :slight_smile:

Because of your drawn line, I’m not expecting a response, and that’s fine. Just to point out - again - that I’m one of the few people on here who believe you have something to offer with this approach. I’ve used mindfulness and visualisation plenty, particularly recently, and it has done me a lot of good. None of the psychologists I’ve worked with went at it in quite the same way, however. :wink:

I personally think there are many people on here that believes that there could be something right with this approach as don’t believe there is many that want to be following a diet or counting calories for the rest of their lives -

However following this whole topic from the beginning I just believe it’s the aggressive, sarcastic and undermeaning tone that has been taking throughout each of the posts that have been made that is quite unnecessary and has put me off being involved in any of it even the conversation up until now.

Whats the old saying? - “Its not what you say its the way that you say it” (or did I just make that up)? Any way to bring more people with you @Tetsugaku you might need to work on your diplomatic skills :grinning: However still think there could be something in this.

Fun Boy Three featuring Bananarama - Ain’t What You Do

Not sure it applies to text.

“Its not what you type, its the way you type it”

I am counting calories only to be more aware of what I am eating. I am the best compulsive eater out there.

To each their own, and I agree that being strict doesn’t help, just makes you depressed and frustrated, I do however use myfitness pals meal tracker to get a rough idea, and find that when I do use it I’m much more aware of how much food I’m eating but still feel very free to enjoy the foods I like. Seems to work for me.

Agree completely. MFP gives me information that helps me make better food choices and actually makes me read the food labels in the supermarket so I can eat healthier. By knowing what my intake is, I can then make an informed decision as to what to eat and whether I should be having that pizza that day!

I think for newbies to nutrition management, it’s a good idea to start off with tracking calories for a few weeks initially to get a good feel for how many calories you’re actually consuming… more on that here :slight_smile: Your body still counts calories, even if you don’t…

I’m well behind the curve on this one, but just to pick up on a point you made here about animals and their eating habits…did you know that it’s MSG that they feed mice in labs to fatten them up? Guess what, it’s addictive (more so than cocaine in some studies) and makes you want more and more. Do a google search for lab mice fattening techniques and MSG or something like that and you’ll see that this is what they use. There are whole studies available on how you fatten mice with the stuff.

And MSG, in one form or another (not always called that on a food label either, just to make it interesting), makes its way into nearly 80% of all pre-prepared foods in the developed world, but especially in USA.

You can draw your own conclusions about how this can or will help you in reaching your goals. I like to indulge in the occasional pie or KFC (volume rather than ‘the wrong stuff’ has been my issue with food), but having been pretty much making all my own meals for years (wife is Ceoliac, so doing that most of the time as well), nothing, and I mean nothing is as good as stuff you make yourself from scratch.

Really interested in the mindfulness idea of eating, but the biggest thing I find difficult is thinking that I’m hungry, but actually my body is telling me that I’m actually thirsty. So easy to mistake one for the other, and will often knacker any attempt at this type of plan. If you can crack that, you’re onto a winner with this. (p.s., just for info, 90% of the time your body tells you it’s hungry when it actually means it’s thirsty - we’ve tuned out of the subtle differences years ago, again due to general abundance).

“90% of the time your body tells you its hungry when its actually thirsty”

I cannot stress enough how untrue that is… no offence dude!

(But, it is a very common occurance)

I’ve been out the loop for a while - did the ‘alternative’ group go ahead? What was the result?

Hi, apologies if this hasn’t been communicated well enough, what I tried to suggest was that often, it’s hard to tell if you’re hungry or thirsty. Recognising it helps you to eat only when you need to. But it’s really difficult, and will lead to you getting it wrong most of the time. It’s been well documented that around half of people can’t tell the difference, about 90% of the time.

Recognition is the key.

I agree with the idea of confusing hungry and thirsty. I honestly think I just eat out of habit (but then overindulge beyond feeling full if I think I’m waiting for hunger cues and get them wrong). I’ve often pondered the idea of drinking a full glass of water before eating anything to either quench my thirst or fill me up a touch before eating. I struggle though because my habit of eating is much stronger than my habit of drinking water. I’m only very new to man v fat and have a very long journey ahead of me but for my first 30 day group i think I’ve found my first goal.
Goal - drink water before eating.

@timjim I don’t intentionally drink water before each meal but I have noticed that, if I do, I’m full up far quicker.
If you don’t like water, get some diluting juice. That helps me drink somewhere between 4-5 litres a day

Thanks @JohnnyFive do you mean just diluting normal juice or is there a specific diluting juice product.

I love drinking cold water but in my job as a teacher I really struggle to drink enough. I really make it a goal I think

I mean squash… I drink Robinsons Apple & Blackcurrant. There are others that you could get with less calories etc but I’m doing good with the “no added sugar” stuff.

I’m not a fan of plain water (only drink it at the gym) so it helps me drink water instead of fizzy drinks.

It’s also worth trying the electrolyte replacement dissolvable rehydration tablets which I find really help, especially first thing in the morning or at the gym/mvf 5’s. They’re absolutely zero calories usually, but have the salts etc your body is missing.

Halfords of all places are one of the cheapest for them, but order online and pick up in store to save about 50% on the in store price. You can sometimes get them in Lidl too, when they have a fitness/cycling week.

I’ve resorted to buying a 2l bottle of Volvic on my way into the office in the morning and just leaving it on my desk. Costs me a fiver a week, but I’ll never forget to drink because it’s right there in front of me.