Calorie counting or otherwise artificially reducing your food intake is a waste of time and life

Sorry mate, but just for the sake of removing confusion for other people who stumble upon this, this is 1,000,000% completely inaccurate.[quote=“JasonS, post:141, topic:5708”]
I also know that those foods have addictive properties
[/quote]

and this.

Not looking to start an argument at all, just very concerned that other people, especially newbies might see this & believe it, thus continuing their cycle of confusion.

But both are 1,000,000% inaccurate

This is not my opinion by the way, it’s just science

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/06/15/why-nutritional-dogma-dies-hard/

http://ow.ly/ekq9307JPBL

Sorry guys, but there is no such thing as an insulin fairy. Going full keto does not open a rift in the space-time-insulin continuum and magically transport belly fat to a parallel universe. Every single controlled metabolic ward study reveals that caloric balance is all that matters when it comes to fat gain & loss, regardless of macronutrient composition.

I understand that many of us WANT it to be hard & complex, that way we can avoid responsibility & say it’s not our fault… but, that way of thinking is never going to fix the issue. Its a comfortable way of justifying remaining the same to ourselves

This has gotten so bad that people avoid eating fruit (which is an essential part of your diet if you don’t wanna die younger than you should) because they think it makes you fat… fruit!

PS - cool factoid of the day… whey protein powder is more insulinogenic than white bread… not that it matters.

PS - I hope that post doesnt come across as rude, just genuinely trying to give people good accurate truthful infirmation thats being kept from them by the industry scammers :blush:

I appreciate your posting a study to back up your opinion. It’s a flawed study, though. That particular study was funded by Gary Taubes’ not-for-profit foundation, NuSI, and was a non-randomized, non-scientific study set up as a precursor to the actual study, which, because Kevin Hall (an inexperienced researcher who was given the task of authoring the results) drew inaccurate conclusions from a study which was inherently flawed (and intended as such) and which could not in any scientific manner be conclusory. Hall’s publication and portrayal of the flawed results as conclusory caused the actual study to lose its funding. We do not actually have any properly randomized scientific study of what happens when we control for the production of insulin. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, and I don’t expect I’ve changed it. But saying “1,000,000%” over and over again does not change the fact that humanity’s understanding of metabolism, fat storage, and endocrinology remains murky at best.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-kevin-hall-tried-to-kill-insulin-hypothesis-pure-spin

You’re preaching to me about things I already know about in super in depth detail. (I live and breathe this stuff 24/7… its my job as a nutritionist and coach to keep on top of and know everything single about this stuff, every research, every study, every meta analysis, every seminar & talk etc etc… trust me its not fun lol)

Point is, theres zero scientific evidence of the existance of the mythical insulin fairy.

PS - Gary Taubes is a complete moron lol

“We do not actually have any properly randomized scientific study of what happens when we control for the production of insulin”

“The problem is we have way too many foods available to us which are artificially high in simple sugars and carbs, which easily break down into simple sugars. Those foods spike insulin and cause our bodies to start storing fat”

these contradict each other

But i’m just saying mate, point is… can you see how that point blank matter of fact, absolute statement could confuse ppl even further (the top quote disoroves the bottom/original quote)

When theres zero evidence of this, and all the data we have points in the opposite direction.

I just think ppl need to be very careful when making statements (not opinions) on subjects relating to health when they really dont know if what they’re saying is true and just like the sound of what they’re saying.

Again really not trying to sound argumentative mate, i know i can come off like that sometimes… just trying to help stop people being confused and conned by the industry BS (being an industry insider I’ve seen it all and know all the dirty secrets they use to scam people)

Discussions like this are valuable and important, Im never concerned about being right, happy to be proven wrong and learn something new when new evidence shows up :blush::+1:

to all…I started reading the original post, then realised how stressed everyone was getting, so I had a Mars Bar to calm me down…

did anyone ever run the weight loss group?

I’ll just leave this here:

In a word: no!

Was there ever a list of books published?
I like the idea of mindful eating - it’s something I’ve read about in numerous places
I’d be interested to understand more context and try it out, in conjunction with my other efforts.

I calorie count and it works for me.

Each totheir own, I say. If you’re happy and you’re losing weight them go for it.

Whatever you do, there will ALWAYS be someone telling you you’re doing it wrong.

This is a great feed, so much value for people, contrasting opinions here and there but mainly evidenced supported info. So with that in mind, I thought I would throw this piece of philosophy in the mix (attributed to Business guru Peter Drucker)…

‘If you measure it you can manage it’.

This obviously plays in favour of calorie counting, but it is the extreme approach to this that myself and many others don’t like. I think it is important during a weight loss phase to be aware of the calories and macro ratios you are consuming, this is because you need to be able to adjust your calorie intake appropriately as and when your body weight begins to change.

A person losing weight on 2500kcal may find that they lose plenty of weight to begin with only to plateau after they’ve finally lost a stone in weight. The point here is that calories need to adjust simultaneously to your body, the less you weigh (depending on body composition) the less total calories you need…so someone who’s weight has dropped below that of their previous ‘maintenance weight’ will need to reduce calories further or increase their calorie expenditure through exercise (or both).

It becomes difficult to manage the above if you were oblivious to your calorie intake to begin with.

Do you need to weigh the food you eat to the gram? No. Should you obsess over the exact calories in peanuts etc? Nope…especially considering we rarely absorb all of the calories in nuts as it is (check the toilet next time you eat nuts and my point will be proven in many cases). Do you need to track everything in My Fitness Pal (MFP)…no no and no. However, it does help to keep track of what you are putting in your mouth at any given time, if this is monitored through volume of food and drink, meal composition or through tracking the calories on the back of the packets or as per MFP (remember many of the best foods don’t have nutrition labels) then you can at least make informed adjustments to your intake as and where needed.

Know thy self, if you are prone to obsessing then strict calorie counting could be damaging to results, health and wellbeing. If you can find a happy medium in life, then by all means get acquainted with monitoring the food and drink you consume through calorie consumption…just make sure you are doing this with expert input or you could be unnecessarily limiting foods and key nutrients.

Thanks,

Tom

Bridgwater league 05/10/17 - FOOD DIARIES WORK guys!

@maxnas this is one of the best analogies I’ve ever seen for food consumption and tracking. It’s absolutely true. A lot easier to plug stuff into MFP and know where it’s gone than to try and manage an arbitrary scheme which inevitably becomes frustrating.

Also thing MFP is handy for adjustments when taking account of exercise.