Clothes, the fat man's nemesis

I suspect there’s others of you like me who have several wardrobes of varying sizes of clothes. In the past 5 years I’ve been 230lbs and 298lbs, with about 4 distinct sets of wardrobe to go with that.

My question is one of advice, I hate buying stuff when I’m carrying a lot of timber and only really do it when I have to. I’ll fight with jeans and trousers, breathe in all day and cover work shirts with a jumper or tie to hide a bit of gape.

What are your thoughts on this? Does feeling uncomfortable most of the day motivate you to sort yourself out or drive you down. I always feel much more confident in well fitting clothes and look better, but I’m not sure I want to be comfortable or look better.

Anyone else identify with the quandry? Thoughts :thinking:

Absolutely yes my friend. This is one of my major motivators - in fact sometimes my clothes get that tight that I end up with painful knackers!

While I haven’t got distinct wardrobes - I do get to the stage where my clothes tell me (it usually sitting down as the belt buckle digs into my belly! I nerd the belt coz I can’t get the top button done!)

Feel your pain fella

1 Like

I’m popping buttons off my trousers at the moment.
I also have clothes that I bought when I was bigger, that I kept in the wardrobe and that I’m now growing back into.
As a true Scot, I couldn’t bring myself to part with clothes that I’d spent good money on! :grinning:

The big indicator for me is being unable to breathe properly when I bend over to put on my shoes. All of the additional padding, whilst not so evident when I’m stood up seems to concentrate itself in the perfect position to stop my diaphragm from moving at all. It’s no fun having to hold your breath to tie your laces.

1 Like

Totally agree, and know how each of you feel. A case of been there, done that for me, and I expect, for all of us.

It was popping a button on a shirt that I bought last summer that made me go back out to buy something a size larger, then when I held it up, just thinking that it didn’t look right and then that I can’t go on just buying larger sizes and I have to do something to get rid of the excess.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s that going dizzy when tying shoe laces and the fact that you can’t breath - it’s damn uncomfortable!

2 Likes

Sounds familiar and it makes me super angry when I realize a shirt is essentially too small to wear. I cannot stand tight fitting clothes and rather than spurring me on to do better, I feel like it’s a constant reminder of my failure; thinner to bigger. I also hate to try on clothes. Seeing clothes on the rack that I really want to fit into and perhaps previously fit into, is really upsetting. I end up wearing clothes long after they look decent, just to avoid going to the store. ‘Nemesis’ is the perfect term for how I feel about clothes. I really want to lose weight so I can be more comfortable in my own skin and in my clothes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I recognise that dizzy feeling, popping buttons etc. Part of the problem comes from where you buy clothes. The cut of the garment varies wildly. One size 44 trousers will fit well and another will be tight. There also seems to be no proper definition of what constitutes XL, XXL etc. Yes we need to get rid of some fat, but it not alll out fault.

1 Like

I think I’m right in saying that the sizes of mens clothes (s, m, l) etc originated in the 1st World War where there was one arbitrary measurement taken of a blokes chest - giving the sizes we see today. From recollection it was to enable the military to very quickly kit out men coming through basic training.

If you’re anything like me the chest fits lovely but the arms hang past my knees :joy: or if the arms are good I can’t get the damn shirt even closed, never mind buttoned :wink:

1 Like

A lot of this is familiar. I have worn too many sweatshirts this summer, just to cover up, but in reality, most of my wardrobe is way too petite right now!

There are also ancient relics in there too. I bought a fairly tight (and rather cool) pair of jeans just before my honeymoon. Think they were a 32 waist… and I’ve still got them. For the past 19 years I’ve been planning to claim them back. Damn you, cool jeans - I’m coming to get you in 2018 !

6 Likes

It’s hard to look good in a suit when you’re a bigger man and that’s a problem, but it’s not only formal wear. Part of my motivation for attacking this weight mountain I’ve been living on is that I don’t want to spend the rest of my life wearing stuff over t-shirts as cover, I’ve basically lived in a black hoodie for the last ten years to keep covered up as I’m not confident in anything else, it’s noticeable in the warm weather as you get comments; “aren’t you hot in that” etc. It’s embarrassing…

Since shifting over a stone I feel a lot better and I go to and from the gym now in just my workout gear, and I even went round a supermarket in just a t-shirt the other day, which was a first. I’m also finding clothes I bought a few years ago and never wore are starting to fit, which is a good motivator.

1 Like

Great post @Michael_K_M. I completely know the feeling of wearing bulkier clothes when it’s warmer and people asking about it. I’ve also experienced that inside, wearing a sweater when it’s cold outside but burning hot inside and sweating like crazy. People look at you like you’re nuts for not taking off a layer! Of course, I’d be embarrassed by my size AND the fact that I am now coated in sweat.
Good to hear that you are getting into some older clothes and getting out in a t-shirt. That sounds like a win to me,

Bryan B

1 Like

Thanks, @bbats. It feels a lot better, and I’m throwing my old stuff away as I go this time so there is no going back - something I’ve not done before.

I have the problem of being 6’11 and 24 stone. Lots of the online shops assume you’ve got a belly and short, or you’re tall and thin. Not me! Tall and fat! A near impossible combination to buy clothes for.

1 Like

Mathius I am not tall but have friends who are. As they are also big they have to go online. It is bad enough getting clothes on the high street when you are big like me. Being big and tall must be a nightmare z

I’ve bought clothes from BadRhino previously, a high street big bloke store. Branches are at the back of a big lasses store called Yours.

You need a suit of armour and protect Cersei.

1 Like

My wife buys from Yours. I have bought the odd thing from Bad Rhino but I find their clothes a bit boring.

1 Like

Boring (and cheap) will do me. I don’t want to stand out!

That reminds me I need a new belt, but I’m trying to make it last until Christmas when I buy new trousers! … and shirts, and jumper, and t-shirts!

1 Like

Since I posted on here a couple I months ago I am pleased to say I managed to ditch most of my old clothes, because they’re too big! I’ve kept some stuff because it was borderline, and I just use it for dossing about and so on, but I have been and got myself a few bits from a shop. Yeah, a real shop, not some kinda XXXXL online deal on ebay. It’s great. I can’t actually remember when the last time I bought anything clothing from a shop and it actually fit, as I had to order most of my stuff online because I couldn’t fit in off the rail!

2 Likes

That’s great, I’m out of my largest shirts too and now into my second wardrobe with things gradually fitting. Great feeling isn’t it. I remember the first time I was able to look beyond big and tall last time I lost some weight it was a revelation picking clothes because I liked them rather than because they fit!

2 Likes