Coaches, Trainers, Nutritionists etc

Hey fellas,

Something you may not be aware of… all these 3 terms are completely un-regulated in the UK (and alot of other countries)

Meaning ANYONE can call themselves a coach, trainer, nutritionist etc

Something to consider when seeking help.

But following on from that…

1 - There’s ALOT of qualified/certified pro’s who are absolutely terrible, alt of which stems from both personal bias & lack of wiling to learn after receiving their paperwork

(for example, tons of stuff that I was taught has since been proven to be un-true. Luckily I actually love the science & education side of this stuff so make it a daily habit to keep my finger on the pulse and be a lifelong student… but you can see why there’s thousands of people out there teaches incorrect stuff if they haven’t bothered to look at the current reseach of their own field for 10,20,30, 40 years etc…

2 - Also, there’s TONS of people without any paperwork/qualifications who have a far superior knowledge than those with paperwork, and are much more able to help people…

Just wondering what you lads think of this stuff…

There’s a ton of GREAT qualified ‘coaches, trainers & nutritionists’ out there…

There’s a ton of bad qualified ‘coaches, trainers & nutritionists’ out there…

There’s a ton of GREAT unqualified ‘coaches, trainers & nutritionists’ out there…

Also, here’s a ton of TERRIBLE (sometimes con-men) unqualified ‘coaches, trainers & nutritionists’ out there…

Any particular reasons you’d avoid one of these types or what you’d be looking for when seeking help?

This sprung off the backend of a conversation that I had with a nutritionist friend last night, and wanted to know what you guys all thought of this stuff

1 Like

It’s really tough because it just adds to the confusion around the topic (a topic which should be relatively simple after all). I think that the government need to up their game in terms of the messaging and advice they do around this subject. The Eatwell plate has been around for donkey’s years and it’s just not a sexy presentation of the facts. The Public Health teams could (and should) do more to create advice that people engage with. Where’s the Eatwell YouTube channel?

1 Like

It’s probably simply down to budget available in the NHS. I’m sure I read somewhere a few weeks ago (here, there, anywhere?) that the Eat Well spend was £X million whereas junk food marketing spend was £XXX million.

For example, I know alot of people who are unqualified via paperwork, but their knowledge is vastly superior to alot of terrible (and famous) qualified pros

I’d hire the former over the latter if I wanted to outsource my nutrition & training programming

But if I was a beginner with little understanding, I’d probably seek the later (and suffer for it) due to paperwork

It’s a toughie, especially when beginners & terrible but qualified people cross each others paths.

1 Like