Fear Of Falling Off

I’m into my second week of weight loss at the moment. Contrary to past attempts I’m actually exercising and training this time and enjoying my weight loss.

However I can’t seem to shift a reoccurring worry that I’m going to fall off and go back to the bad habits I decided to put an end to over a week ago.

Does anybody else get this worry and if so how do you deal with it?

What habits are we talking about mate?

List as many as you can think of :slight_smile:

Near to no exercise.
Binge eating.
Takeaway multiple times a week, sometimes twice a day.
Drinking full fat sodas.
Regular snacking.
Overspending (on food).

Those pretty much cover it I think. I’ve done it before, started and stuck it out for weeks or even a couple of months then go straight back to this. My mindset shifts to an “I don’t care” mentality and I really don’t want that.

Ok great!

Now, out of those what’s the biggest rock, the number 1 thing that’s most likely to happen or the 1 thing that if you get control of will make the biggest difference to your success?

:slight_smile:

I’d imagine this is something that a large proportion of us on the site are dealing with as I know many of us (I’m definitely one!) keep coming back after a break from tracking and the accountability many of us need.

From reading many of the most successful stories on here it seems like they have either made changes in a way that no longer makes them feel like a diet or a chore that give us that “screw it” mentality? Are there small positive changes you can identify that don’t feel difficult to slowly build on?

I’d say binge eating is the biggest issue. It’s something I’ve struggled with for years. I’m an emotional eater and once I start a binge I go through a mental cycle of disappointment in myself and then justifying that binge with the idc mentality.

I’ve been making food choices recently that I’m enjoying. I’ve started cooking better meals and just cooking more for myself in general.

I definitely feel like those choices and my choice to exercise are sustainable. Yet I still get this underlying, nagging worry that I won’t sustain it.

It’s feeling like a battle to prove myself wrong at this point.

Cool, so think of a few (2-3) examples of when this happens…. What environment/situations tend to or haved triggered this in the past?

(We can fix this right now, or at least put a buffer in place that will change habits by default)

1 Like

My binges aren’t always emotional. When they are emotional it’s usually due to not achieving something like a failed job interview or slipping up on a diet I’m doing etc. Or just due to an overall feeling of underachievement which I’ve dealt with for years but that’s a different story.

A lot of the time my binges are just something I do to pass the time. When I’m bored or when I have a day off and don’t have any plans. Me and my partner would binge a lot just for something to do. It is very habitual and expensive.

I would only really binge either at home or at my girlfriend’s house. However I did tend to buy large amounts of food from fast food places on lunch at work, I never really considered that to be a binge but in hindsight it probably was.

Ok cool, so lets take a quick look at the one thing you CAN control:

“A lot of the time my binges are just something I do to pass the time. When I’m bored or when I have a day off and don’t have any plans. Me and my partner would binge a lot just for something to do. It is very habitual and expensive.”

What I’d suggest here is to have a few simple & easy “If this, then that” options in place (2-3) enough to give a small variety, but not too many to get overwhelmed:

Eg:

Whenever we find ourselves a bit bored at home we plan & cook some good/nice meals for the week (double win here)

Whenever we find ourselves a bit bored at home we go for a walk (local shops, park, town centre etc) if the weather is good enough (spend some quality time, moving more, not binging = tripped win lol)

Whenever we find ourselves a bit bored at home we do some yoga/stretching/activity etc etc

“I would only really binge either at home or at my girlfriend’s house.”

Think of 2-3 automatic things can you implement here to address this?

“However I did tend to buy large amounts of food from fast food places on lunch at work.”

Think of 2-3 automatic things can you implement here to address this?

Look at the ‘other things to consider section’ on the nutrition guide here: http://bodywithscience.com/complete-guide/

2 Likes

That’s really helpful dude thank you. I think something I need to take more time for is planning. Whether that’s planning for alternatives to bad habits or planning meals. I’ve always tried to cut out bad habits and it doesn’t work so I like the idea of swapping out those habits for better ones.

Thank you for the help I really appreciate it.

1 Like

@StayAu79 From what you’ve said , it seems to be an expensive lifestyle.

Maybe consider putting the money to one side you’d be spending 1/2 times a day on takeaways and then after a full month see how much you’re saving.

That should really hit home, not just your health, but your wallet!

That’s absolutely true, great idea. It becomes a real struggle towards the end of the month. But chances are if I prepared my own lunch at home I’d save money and have more control over my intake.

I could really do with the saving at the moment if I’m being honest :joy:

Great incentive then if you need to save too.

I was spending upwards of £4/5 a day for work lunches, nigh on £100 a month. Much better in my wallet and better for me taking my own prepared food

1 Like

This. I used to buy the £3 mealdeal from the local shop. 500ml fat coke, the triple brunch sandwich as it was more for the same money, a packet of crisps. Best part of 1000 calories just on lunch and because it was only £3 sometimes I would happily buy the 3 chocolate bars for £1.20 deal too. Now we’ve done over 1500 calories between lunch and the afternoon at work.

Bad for your wallet & your health.

Now, instead it’s:
Tin of soup from Sainsbury’s 40p
(Spring Vegetable is only 130 calories for the lot!)
Low calorie yoghurt as cheap as 25p
Total calories between under 200 to 300.
Be a devil, have some fruit with that yoghurt.

Don’t want soup? Make a salad, with tuna, or a couple of eggs. Large plate, still only 200 calories but the volume will leave you feeling full.

Better still, look how many calories are still free for the evening.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve definitely fallen into the meal deal trap before. Some good alternatives mentioned here though. I always overlook soup, it’s beauty in simplicity I guess.

I tend to try and stay below 400-600 calories for a lunch. That way on a late shift I don’t tend to get hungry until I’m getting close to home.

I was exactly the same. It’s a tough habit to break with the convenience to compete with. Breaking the habit will just come down to more preparation.

Habits are hard to change, so instead of trying to change habits, I’d recommend to consciously make an effort to take one at a time & replace with an alternative (like the “if this, then that” principle)

with an alternative, come up with 2-3 choices so you don’t feel restricted & still have variety

Then consciously address each habit one at a time, & you’ll find that they then will slowly become your new default habits

start with the big rock/s first, & when they’ve become ‘automatic’ or habitual, you can then consciously move onto the next one :slight_smile:

1 Like