Get some psyllium husk in your life

If you want to give your digestive system a present this year then get a bag of psyllium husk and add a teaspoonful to smoothies or just on your breakfast muesli. It’s like drain cleaner for your bowels and is incredibly filling, it makes my very short list of supplements that actually work.

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/psyllium-husks-powder.html?view=ppc&dpc=ZPL10&msg=New%20customer?%20Get%2010%%20off%20your%20first%20Bulk%20Powders%20order&view=ppc&gclid=Cj0KEQiAiamlBRCgj83PiYm6--gBEiQArnojD3_mGHdAH0TCb_Km05LoDXFxhzUKhBlL9DJq1mLWGYsaAjYD8P8HAQ

4 Likes

I eat these in my whey shakes, i’ve also bought Chia seeds last week and the whole family are on them now. Since adding healthier choices into my diet i have noticed regularity.

It’s unbelievable how effective they are. Goes to show (well, it shows me anyway) that you shouldn’t just write off all supplements as bollocks.

Ordered some, ta. Let’s see what’s what. Quite apart from the satiety thing, I’ve been struggling with IBS for a year or so and the doc has so far gone for the ‘try stuff, and try cutting stuff out’ route. So this has to be worth a dabble.

1 Like

I probably get the same effect with my oatmeal. I add chia seeds and mixed grains to oatmeal, currently bulgur, sometimes quinoa. It’s a good way to experiment with grains. The oatmeal mix is premixed. Making breakfast takes about three or four minutes more than it takes to boil water. The oatmeal is made with 2.5 parts water to grain and I add orange juice, just a splash to the oatmeal. The oatmeal also gets a small handful of dried fruit, and a bit of fresh fruit. It starts the day on a most positive note.

No dairy in the oatmeal. No dairy period. Apples are my go-to snack and my other go to meal of the day often consists of kaleslaw. Lots of fiber. All of it fun to eat and natural. I prefer to get my fiber from natural foods. Totally agree with the idea of eating plenty of fiber.

I’m never sure about oatmeal with water. We make it with raw milk and it’s delish. You should do a cookery book, your food looks amazing.

I’ve started doing overnight porridge, which is oatmeal, fat free yogurt, skimmed milk, chia seeds, and a bit of what ever fruit you fancy and some honey. The recipient is all over the web, really easy, tasty and filling. Will give the psyllium a go too.

husks or powder?

1 Like

Husks, you want the roughage that’s what this baby is all about.

I can only find the powdered husks. Anyone want to share the secret online shopping location for the “Husks”?

1 Like

@EmmaShanahan which ones do we get Em and who’s your dealer?

I would have thought husks or powder would have produced the same results as the body does not break it down and it passes through you.
Here is a paragraph I lifted from Wikipedia

“psyllium is mainly used as a dietary fiber, which is not absorbed by the small intestine. The purely mechanical action of psyllium mucilage absorbs excess water while stimulating normal bowel elimination. Although its main use has been as a laxative, it is more appropriately termed a true dietary fiber and as such can help reduce the symptoms of both constipation and mild diarrhea. The laxative properties of psyllium are attributed to the fiber absorbing water and subsequently softening the stool. It is also one of the few laxatives that does not promote flatulence”

I got the tablets last week from Holland and Barrett. I have to say, they are amazing and do as described. Expensive though but I wanted to try. I’ve also bought the powder from Amazon which is way cheaper but it’s not arrived as yet.

I got a kilo last week for £12.84. It seems to work very well. :grinning:

I got the powder from bulkpowders.com. Can’t compare it to whole husks, but it certainly works!!

Think I’m gonna give this a try

10g which is the daily recommended dose is two heaped teaspoons in a mug with liquid to mix it up. Add a small amount of water to mix the powder up. Then slowly add more water to thin out the jelly like substance at the bottom of the mug. I tend to use a little no added sugar squash first and then dilute to the required strength with water.

I need to have a look out for these- seems like I might need to pinch my nose to get it down in one though

It’s quite tasteless. Think of almost set jelly but with out the flavour. I mixed my first ever lot up with orange juice.

It looks a lot weirder than it tastes/feels.