Heavier Weight or More Repetition

When I used to train I found it psychologically satisfying to lift heavier weights. Should I have been doing more repetition s for weight loss though?

Vaguely remembering stuff here. (Not going to include diet stuff)

Essentially, the more contracting / lean muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn during all activities and rest periods. This is due to more energy burning lean mass being present, but also more mitochondria which essentially turn what you eat to energy (simplifying a bit).

Heavy weights force your muscle fibres to somewhat ‘break’, so your body builds more of them, they will be stronger and thicker. This causes your overall lean body mass to increase and therefore you will burn more energy. The low rep portion is due to fatigue, using as many fibres as you can to lift a weight 1-5 times until you cant lift it any more exhausts the muscle. If you can do more, the weight isn’t heavy enough.

Lighter weights don’t really put too much strain on your muscles so you can lift more in frequency. I believe that lighter weights and higher reps, rather than increasing the strength of your muscle, it will mainly improve your capacity for muscular endurance. The ‘sarcoplasmic reticulum’ holds the calcium needed to essentially activate your muscle, this should increase in size over time with this style of programme.

This isn’t to say either programme doesn’t build the other aspect, however im sure this is the general consensus. They do say that to most effectively lose weight, lift weights rather than / in conjunction with cardio.

Higher weight / low rep = significantly more lean muscle mass = more energy burning capacity = big effect for weight loss.

Lower weight / high rep = significantly more muscle endurance = more calcium holding capacity = smaller effect on weight loss

1 Like

Whats the goal mate?

As far as muscle growth is makes zero difference if overall volume (weight,reps & sets totals) are equal…

You’ll likely get a bit stronger working mostly in the lower rep ranges & you’ll build more endurance capacity in the higher rep ranges, but both equally build muscle when volume is equated

For weight loss? That comes down to creating an energy/calorie deficit mate (diet &/or moving more)

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Weight loss is my goal and I was just thinking how to make the best of my gym membership. I find I’m pretty mentally drained after work usually and getting through a training session has been tough. So I thought maybe do less reps but heavier weights so I can crash as soon as afterwards.

No reason why not, personal preference mate :slight_smile:

I like more reps, less heavy weight. I dont wanna get in2 a competition i cant win lol

1 Like