Japan

Anyone been?

I’m going for 4 weeks (hopefully) next year for the Rugby World Cup having so far secured tickets to 2 of Ireland’s 4 group games.

I intend to arrive and depart from Tokyo, after that I haven’t really planned anything apart from the games.

I’d be grateful for some tips to keep the cost down as well as your must sees.

Much appreciated!

Get the Shinkansen (bullet train) at least once, head down to Kyoto for amazing history and proper old world Japan, then Osaka is close by and a vibrant 24hr party place. Its been 10 years since my last visit, but 2 old friends lived there for 5 years. Tokyo is a wonder in itself. Enjoy

Paging @Craig_MvF! He’s been and loved it and will I’m sure be full of tips!

Bear in mind I’m a massive geek, and my friends have an odd sense of humour, so for me the tourism was all about Akihabara (videogame district) Disneyland, the Studio Ghibli museum and karaoke - although we did visit a temple, which was lovely. Mainly I was struck by how civil it all is, people sharing public umbrellas, being polite and friendly. The food was awesome too, I thoroughly recommend you try a curry doughnut.

Thanks, everyone.

Really need to get planning!

If you do decide to go to Tokyo Disneyland defiantly do both parks, don’t expect to do a whole park in a day. Do some research re fast passes etc. Just turning up at the parks upreared means long queues, not doing the rides you want, getting frazzled very quickly