Kids DIY computer kit

So I came across this from a youtube add. Normally I just sit, and wait for them to simply give me the pass button (typically with a frown). But this one caught my eye. I followed the add, and found something which I thought would be a great idea. And I thought I’d share.

https://kano.me/ is a site, that has kits to teach kids how to assemble their own computers, and how to do some basic programming. I’m a network tech, so I work with computers all day. And I think this is a marvelous idea! Help the next generation learn some basic computer skills, or even some adults get some basic knowledge under their belts.

I hope this helps someone!

3 Likes

Ta! We’re getting our eldest a pi for Xmas so I’m sure this will come in handy for ideas & bolt-ons

1 Like

We’ve got a Pi and a Kano (the Kano is a slightly modded version of the Pi) and they’re both brilliant. I have to say that the Kano is definitely better for our ages (7 and 10) as it has a lot more guided learning around the pure tech.

1 Like

Question - how does your 7 yo get on with it? Do they need a lot of help, or are they able to pick it up okay?

The Kano and Pi are the BBC Micro of the 21st century. I love how my youngest just flirts between Linux on the Pi, MacOS, and then Windows at school.

3 Likes

Thats awesome! We need more people familiar with linux.

What distro do they use on the PI?

On Fri night we had a note from school informing us that they were starting a Raspberry Pi course in a few weeks. Perfect! Although I am starting to feel like my granddad in terms of the speed tech is changing and the stuff that kids are now able to do.

1 Like

Raspbian, which I assume is a derivative of Debian. Other distros also work, though.

His role is to watch over his older brother’s shoulder, so he’s fine.

1 Like

This is excellent, you’ve just found the Xmas present I’m getting my son. He’s 14, will this be too easy for him? Is this for younger kids?

Not used one personally, but I’ve colleagues in their 40s here who are really getting into this…I’d imagine it’d be good for anyone with an interest!

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I’m definitely getting it for my boy

I remember getting one of those as a kid. Back then it was the cheapskate version of the ZX81

Absolutely not. They’re incredibly versatile and can be a jumping off point into robotics, control systems, building media systems, anything.

1 Like