Long term struggle

To summarise, I used to be morbidly obese (5 years ago). I started working out - 5 days a week cardio, weights, yoga. I got to a respectable size and weight, but just cannot shift the body fat around my ‘love handles’ and stomach.

I think I’m stuck in a rut where I have a routine of doing the following:

Monday
Arms and shoulders strength training - dumbbells / bodyweight
1 hour moderate rowing and cross trainer
1-2 4 mile outdoor walks

Tuesday
1 hour Yoga
1 hour high and moderate intensity rowing and cross trainer
1-2 4 mile outdoor walks

Wednesday
Core & back strength training - dumbbells / bodyweight
1-2 4 mile outdoor walks

Thursday
1 hour Yoga
1 hour high and moderate intensity rowing and cross trainer
1-2 4 mile outdoor walks

Friday
Leg training - dumbbells / bodyweight
1 or 2 4 mile outdoor walks

Saturday & Sunday
No workouts

Quite simply I stick to this as if I put on some weight when going away on holiday a couple of times per year, I just stick to the above and and it all comes off usually within 6-8 weeks, but I struggle to ever get rid of the flabby mid section I have. I have been doing this at this level for over 2 years now and just feel I’m missing something. I’m not sure if I’m over training, eating too much, eating too little, how to know if I am over training, OR maybe I’m not working hard enough.

Before changing my life in this way I was overweight my whole life (I’m now 38) so am terrified in doing any less, as I would much rather be as trim as I am with some excess than fat. According to my smartwatch I burn around 2-2.5k active calories per day when working out.

Other than a post workout (after the weights/yoga and cardio in the mornings) kiwi/banana, whole nuts and natural yoghurt snack, I eat the same as my wife who does zero workouts and is a very respectable size.

There’s other guys in the gym that are extremely buff, who I know only do their workouts first thing in the morning like I do, even though they do hardly any cardio compared to me. I know from experience if I don’t do the cardio the weight doesn’t fall off. I also do NOT want to bulk up and look like a Arnold Schwarzenegger, just trim and toned.

Any advise please? I’m desperate and don’t have the money to be paying for a personal trainer regularly - I’d like to do this and understand myself.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums and well done on taking that first step of posting!

I think @maxnas may be the one who can help you the most.

Forget the workouts, that’s just the icing on the cake… tell us more about the cake (food) that’s the 99.99%

I suspect your portions may be somewhat larger.
No calorie deficit = no weightloss.
All that exercise yet no calorie deficit?
Stop eating your exercise calories.