MVF Soccer Gawler - S1 - Week 0 - New Beginnings

Week 0 - Welcome to MAN v FAT Soccer Gawler

First things first, congratulations on joining the first Australian MAN v FAT soccer league outside of Western Australia, you are all champions! These forum posts will happen weekly, and will give you handy information that will help you on your individual journeys. If there are any topics you would like to see, please ask me and I will make sure they appear! Thursday we had our information night and it was fantastic to meet you all and I cannot wait to work with you over the next 15 weeks. Since information night we have had an extra 11 lads join up which is amazing! For those who could not make it, I look forward to meeting you Thursday night (12th September) for our first match night!

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Just from talking to you guys on Thursday night, I understand that many of you have been dealing with poor eating and exercise habits for a number of years. These habits will certainly be challenged over the next 15 weeks, and hopefully many kicked to the curb for good. But remember that weight loss isn’t a race, and trying to create sustainable eating and exercise patterns is the ultimate goal. For these first few weeks aim to see what works for you and what doesn’t, and utilise these findings to help you push on for the following weeks. Try to think of these weeks as a transition to a new you. The absolute best way to lose weight (and keep it off) is to lose it gradually, and reduce intakes of things like sugar, fast-foods and alcohol at a steady pace. In this way, we can create good habits that will set you up for future success!

Let’s Get Physical

Again similar to the eating habits, many of you informed me that you had not done any structured exercise for a number of years. A word of warning; you will get sore! But don’t let this deter you, it’s a good pain, and one that will get easier with an increase in physical activity. Some of you may be asking ‘but where do I start?’. Increasing physical activity throughout the week can be as simple as taking the stairs instead of a lift or heading out for a walk after work. Something I have seen which I think is pretty cool is teams in the UK and Western Australia organising training sessions to catch up outside of game-nights and do some exercise together! Exercise doesn’t have to be boring, nor does it have to be in a gym. There a multitude of ways to get it done, so just get moving! If you are struggling ask your team mates what they have been up to, or ask me when we have a weekly chat and we can come up with some ideas for you.

We Are The Champions, My Friends

Your health and wellness are of vital importance, but so is the health and wellness of the blokes sharing the court with you. Throughout the next 15 weeks your team and WhatsApp group will be your most important asset, whether for advice, support, ideas or even just some banter. I have already seen some good chat happening in the groups, and hopefully as the season progresses the frequency of messaging increases even more! Because most importantly, our big hope is that you will make some great new mates who you will share a bond with for life. In addition, I’m sure each of you wouldn’t mind a little silverware to show off to guests right? Well you’ll need your team mates for that, so II’ll leave this article here from a few league winning captains in the UK.

The Final Word
Quick reminder our first match night begins at 6:30pm September 12th with Fatalaide United (Blue) taking on the Fatteroos (Black), followed by Twisted Ankles FC (Red) taking on Unathletico Madrid (White) at 7pm. Make sure you arrive early (especially those who have not yet seen me) so we can weigh you in and have a brief chat about the week, and don’t forget those filled in handbooks!

Let’s have some fun, and give fat a red card!

Coach Dan

1 Like