MVF Soccer Gawler - S1 - Week 2 - Up, Down & Everything In Between

What a great week! There were some great performances both on and off field, and I was rapt to see how much some teams have bonded in a few short weeks. It was also fantastic to see teams trying to organise some training sessions away from Thursday nights, this is a great idea to not only further some on-field success, but also an avenue to some fun extra exercise, so well done lads!

Team Results
Green Kegs & Ham 4-3 Fatsal Palace
Black Knights 3-2 Red Roosters
Fatalaide United 15-5 KFC Barfalona

MAN 73-0 FAT
So far, you legends have combined to lose an incredible 73kg in just two weeks, how bloody good is that! As I always say, all of you should feel very proud with how much effort you’ve put in over the last fortnight, and the results will keep coming if you keep putting in the work away from the field. A big congratulations to KFC Barfalona, who between the 5 lads weighing in this week lost a combined 9.2kg, amazing effort. Special mention to our current leading scorer John Crawford (Fatalaide United) who has already hit the 5% lost mark, and is down 7.5kg in the first fortnight! When you see John around make sure to get around him and give him some well earned congratulations. There are a load of guys sitting around the 3-4% mark as well, so it will be a season-long fight for the top spot Make sure to keep checking the top scorer table at https://www.manvfatsoccer.com.au/gawler to see who is ranking well. Reminder This isn’t a race to lose weight, and if you haven’t lost much early do not get discouraged. Ask myself, or the top scorers in your team what they are doing, and implement some of those ideas into your own weekly plan.

Calories
A few lads came to me this week and had changed their eating completely which is bloody fantastic! However, they had not been eating quite enough under the impression that less calories = more weight loss. Whilst this is true, not eating enough can have an undesired affect, and opens you up to fatigue and more prone to binging. We must make sure we are eating enough food, so if you find yourself starving hungry, add in some extra snacks such as a handful of nuts, some fruit/veg or my latest guilty pleasure, protein popcorn (from coles)! https://www.crankt.com.au/product/salted-butterprotein-popcorn-55g/
If you are unsure you are whether you’re eating enough, come and have a chat to me and we can figure it out together.

The Good & The Bad
A common theme this week was some of you feeling as though you had a few bad days in amongst the good, which produced some concern towards your weight-loss, and some feelings of guilt. It is perfectly normal to feel some guilt when eating ‘bad’ food, but this does not need to be the case. Our eating cannot always be perfect, and I am a big believer that some ‘bad’ food is good for the soul and mind. As long as the bad food is a treat (1-2x per week), it is not going to put a dent in your weight-loss, and can be just the pick-me-up you need to get through the week. Remember that your change in diet needs to be something you can sustain, and therefore needs to be something you enjoy! It is no good eating chicken breast and rice 10x a week if you don’t enjoy it, because you will not stick to it and end up back eating what you did previously. If you fall off the horse one day, don’t stress and throw the whole week out, just get back on the next day. Remember, lean on myself, your teammates, and the handbook. We are all here to help!

RICE
I received multiple messages from guys this week saying they had pulled up sore from last weeks games, with pulled muscles being a significant issue. PSA: remember RICE; Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation (https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/rice-method-injuries). If you feel sore after a Thursday game, follow the RICE protocol to give you the best chance to get back on the field the following week, which brings me to another important announcement. If injury strikes you down, you can still be a valuable help to your teammates by becoming an off-field contributor. Remember that first and foremost this is a weight loss league, the soccer is just a fun bonus. We have off-field roles and goals for this very reason, so simply by turning up and losing weight you can contribute to your teams success without even needing to play! This is mighty important as we saw two games this week decided by the scales, one result even got overturned!

Reminders

1. If you are not yet utilising the forum (https://talk.manvfat.com/) please do! There are so many great resources on there for diet, exercise and lifestyle, it would be a crying shame if you didn’t use them!
  2. Fixtures can be found at https://www.manvfatsoccer.com.au/gawler. This week we have some good ones on tap!
    THURSDAY, 26 SEPTEMBER 2019
    18:30 KFC Barfalona VS Black Knights

19:00 Green Kegs & Ham VS Fatalaide United

19:30 Red Roosters VS Fatsal Palace
Remember to get there half hour early for weigh-in, and try to hang around to watch the other lads and give them some support!

Final Word
You guys are doing a fantastic job thus far. Keep supporting each other through WhatsApp and keep making small changes each week. The results have been great so far, so let’s keep it up!

Coach Dan