MVF Soccer UWA - S2 - Week 0 - Round 2!

uwa
australia

Week 0: Welcome men of MAN v FAT Soccer UWA!

First of all, I want to congratulate all of you for taking a big step towards improving your health. To those who returned from last season, welcome back! I can’t wait to see you keep the positive energy from last season going.

To all of our newcomers - welcome to the program, and welcome to the UWA league. For those of you who couldn’t make it, I’m Tim, the research coordinator behind this project. Next week you will meet Brian, our league coach, who will be here to support you with your weight loss journey throughout the season.

The competition has officially begun… We’re two days into the program now, and it’s encouraging to see so much energy in the WhatsApps - guys are sharing stories, their goals for the season, and throwing some healthy food options around. Already we’ve seen some of the most important questions float about - how can I enjoy a drink without hampering my weight loss goals? (The answer is moderation, and low-carb beers. Pure Blonde is a personal favourite!).

Don’t go crazy… we’re not here to tell you exactly what to do to bring about weight loss change, but it is important that you keep in mind that (healthy) weight loss is a gradual process - use the handbook, make some small changes (milk / sugar out of your morning tea / coffee, smaller plates and smaller portion sizes) and see how you travel on the scales. If that’s doing the trick, keep at it! If not, speak to Brian during your weigh-in, and look at what you’ve written down in the handbook. Importantly, any weight loss week-by-week scores you off-pitch goals for your team, so there’s no rush.

Physical activity isn’t an all-or-nothing thing - some is better than none… We’re often told that 80% of weight loss happens in the kitchen and that’s true. It’s easier to eat 500 calories (that’s a cheeseburger and a can of coke) than it is to work it off on a treadmill (about an hour jogging on a treadmill!). That said, a little exercise might be enough to shift the calorie balance in the right direction, so think of some ways you can incorporate movement into your daily routine. If you’re not too far from work, take the bike! Or, get off the bus / train a few stops early, and walk the last kilometre. Finding a way to bring sport or your mates into exercising can be a great way to be active without the boredom some of us feel just pounding the pavement.

Some of you were on the exercise bike before Wednesday night was over, and that’s the right idea - remember, if you keep it simple and move more (start small, and build it up) you’ll perform better on the pitch, reduce the likelihood of on-pitch injury, and you’ll help shift the kilos.

Health checks and help… For anyone who might be unsure about being active and getting through some game time, please do take the time to check in with your GP.

No I in team… The last thing we’d encourage, and it’s great to see this happening already, is to lean on each other for support - the players from last season know the ropes, and no doubt have plenty of tips and tricks that could help you shift the weight, so don’t be afraid to ask. The WhatsApp groups are there for you to have some banter, some fun, but also to help each other out.

All the fixtures are available for Match Night 1 @ https://www.manvfatsoccer.com.au/uwa .

UWA Sport changing facilities will be open and available for anyone who needs them. Remember to come down at least 30 minutes before your game kicks off, so you have plenty of time to weigh in and warm up!

Enjoy the weekend lads!

Tim B