Recommendations please?

Hey gang,

I’m going to be kicking off MVF in the Kensington League next week. I wanted to canvas some opinion from the MVF community. Is it worthwhile trying to do a workout before playing football or AFTER? Are you not supposed to do a warm down? What excercises can be done in a gym before playing? I know we should all do light warm up stretches. Let me know your thoughts please!!!

• Gym BEFORE Football
  • Gym AFTER Football

0 voters

Unless the footy is going to be ‘light-mid’ activity, it’s best to keep them separate.

Once thing is for sure, don’t lift weights with any serious degree of effort after running around the pitch = recipe for disaster/injury

the lesser evil of the two, would be before.

So whilst I never feel like lifting weights after aerobic exercise why is it disastrous? Is it just that it is more likely to cause injury or are there other reasons? How does it make it more likely to cause injury.

I tend to do a run of approximately 3.5km before our league games. We’ve just started a new season so have a full compliment of players which means less pitch time. I suppose it depends on your overall level of fitness - I wouldn’t have been able to manage it at the start of season 1.

Mainly fatigue accumilation leading to potential injury mate, the ability to perform lifts with weights you’re used to will be hampered (strengh & skill wise)

Are you mad? Concentrate on stretching and a few short sprints.
Get the elasticity going.

Has anyone recently started jogging? I used to ran way back when but have not done so in 20 years. Curious if anyone has any solid advice/tips for a brand new jogger.

I only started a few months back and have no intention of doing it long term.:rofl:

I go as far as I can jogging then walk for as long as I need to. Takes me 7 mins per km on average which would mean 35 minute parkrun.

Not too shabby for somebody who is not a runner.

hi, i started again after joining manvfat hadn’t run for about 30 years, i followed a c25k program, i try now to run 5k 2-3 times a week, i would also recommend getting gait analysis at a running shop to ensure you have the right footwear. Also look up your local parkrun, have fun

I’ve been running for 18 months having never run in my life (I’m mid-40s). My number one tip would be to forget about pace and just enjoy being out there. It’s very easy to compare yourself to other runners and think you should be going faster, but just by moving you’re doing more than a lot of people.

Oh, and number 2 tip? Parkrun. If you haven’t got involved in that yet, do it. It’s a fantastic institution. Doesn’t matter whether you run, jog or walk.

Thanks for the great feedback all. I appreciate the notes. I downloaded the C25K app. And joined Parkrun USA. The next evolution begins tonight using week 1 in the app. Also started tracking again in MyFitnessPal. Just trying to make good decisions and get that activity bar up.

One of the guys was using none to run. Supposed to be a lot easier than c25k check it out @Riffman117

None To Run is better suited to beginner runners and overweight people. I couldn’t complete C25k, but did the None To Run programme and have subsequently run a 5k without walking at my current weight of 22.5 stone.

It depends on your current fitness level as to which will work best for you. In summary, C25k aims to have you running a 5k in 9 weeks, None To Run will have you running continuously for 25 minutes after 12 weeks. Having a time goal for running takes away any pressure on running at a certain pace, which is a good approach to begin with.

I cam also second the earlier recommendation regarding parkrun. It’s a fantastic way to get out there and give it a go, and there’s no pressure to run, despite the name. Many people walk the 5k courses, or do combinations of walk/run initially.