Sleep Quality - Which supplements?

I generally sleep OK.
I know there is a correlation between getting good sleep and shifting fat, so what are your tips and supplements you use to improve your sleep?

A trainer friend of mine recommends Magnesium. He pointed me to this article
The quality and formulation apparently make a big difference, but I found generic high street Magnesium supplements to work pretty well for me.

What do you guys favour?

Wow - intersting, looks like the answer to lots of things! I always go on the physical tiredness thing for a good sleep.

I figure exercise works as a good de-stressor, and then physically the body is tired and needs the sleep.

My Mrs takes something called Floradix Magnesium when she is run down and is convinced it makes a big difference to her. Bloody expensive, though.

My sleeping has been fcuked for nearly 30 years. Nothing seems to help very much.

1 Like

I’ve heard Magnesium is great. If I were you, I’d pop into Holland and Barret and ask or make appointment with GP.

Sleep is important 100%. If I come across anything I’ll definitely let you know

Hey guys - hope it’s ok but this struck me as a really interesting topic which deserved discussion across the board so I moved it to the main board.

1 Like

Hi @BigJim,

I would concur with your Trainer friend, Magnesium is useful as it is a precursor to malatonin, the sleep hormone. I will add this if OK…Any form of magnesium can be used to attenuate a magnesium deficiency, except magnesium L-threonate, since it contains less elemental magnesium per dose. Magnesium citrate is a good choice for supplementation, try going with 200-400mg per day and aim to consume with food to aid absorption.

If I were you then I would go for Magnesium citrate at a dose of 200mg to begin with and see how it goes. Some can cause a laxative effect but that is generally when magnesium oxide or magnesium chloride is used.

Another empirical method of improving sleep is the combination of Apple cider vinegar (Bragg’s is the one to go for), honey and hot water. Cal Orey, author of “The Healing Powers of Vinegar,” recommends combining 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with honey as an effective tonic to treat insomnia. However I have a lot of time for Tim Ferris who personally insists that 1 cup hot water, 2 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp organic honey has real tranquillising effects of a night time.

We don’t know why it works…it just does (you won’t find that statement in a peer reviewed science journal any time soon haha).

Thanks for the confirmation and the extra detail on magnesium formulation and dosing. Are there any upsides/downsides to larger doses? Is there a better time of day to take Magnesium?

I’m partial to cider vinegar myself, I wasn’t aware of the sleep benefits though.

I do like the stuff Ferris does, I’m an avid listener to the podcast and have 4HB on its way as my holiday reading.

At night after your last meal :slight_smile:

I’ll throw in a personal experience on this which is that I get fierce jumpy legs. I started taking magnesium and now it never happens. If I stop they get restless again. It’s a sample size of one but I’m convinced!

1 Like

I can vouch for the exact same thing mate :+1:

Don’t pretend you get time to sleep.

@maxnas is spot on re: timing @BigJim…the potential downsides of larger dosing is potential laxative effects, potential upsides is improved uptake in larger people, but I would be content that a balanced diet alongside a good magnesium supplement dosed at 200-300mg would suffice for most. Higher doses may be useful in people with previous deficiencies.

4 Hour Body is great, his slow carb theory has proven quite effective.