Week 1 - UWA League - Post COVID kickoff

Man v Fat Soccer UWA

It was fantastic to see the players coming back for the start of the UWA MvF league last night. To all those newcomers (like myself) I hope you enjoyed your first night and I want to personally congratulate you for joining the league, the first step is always the hardest. This was the first night back since COVID restrictions and as such ALL players will receive new registration weights for the beginning of a new season (a fresh start).

Once we factored in the off-pitch scores, the overall results for week 1:

Fatburn Rovers (Blue) vs O.B. City (Red) 2 - 3

Green Machine (Green) vs Yellow Belly (Yellow) 6 - 2

Polar Bears (White) vs Black Puddings (Black) 3 - 4

Some intense efforts out there on the pitch last night, hopefully we see the same dedication continue throughout the week to bring home some off-pitch goals for each of your teams.

You can see match results anytime at www.manvfatsoccer.com.au/uwa, and if you click on ‘Latest Results’(the tab on the right of the results box) and hover your mouse over the scores (e.g., 4–2), you’ll be able to see a break down of where the score came from.

Last night there was a lot of chatter around the games being part of a pre-season and some confusion about why we were doing weigh-ins now and not in September. But is there really a ‘pre-season’ when it comes to our cardiovascular wellbeing or should it always be in season?

I have listed below many of the positive influences Physical activity has on our health as well as a multitude of additional benefits:

• Cardiovascular Disease prevention
  • Diabetes prevention & control
  • promotion of mental health
  • prevention of arthritis & musculoskeletal disease
  • Prevention of many cancers
  • Stress management
  • Social benefits
  • Improved self-esteem & mood
  • decreased depression & anxiety

Always remember doing any Physical activity is better than none and aim to be active on most if not all days of the week in one way or another! Even walking the dog or doing some gardening counts!

I look forward to reading through your booklets next week where we can discuss small ways you managed to fit physical activity into your week.

Sincerely your new MvF coach,

Hamish

1 Like