Week 14 - UWA League - FIN - Anxiety around putting it back on

Well well well… Solid work gentlemen making it through the crazy year that 2020 was. I am proud to have joined you for this season of MAN v FAT soccer, collectively you have misplaced 119.2kg! Congratulations to each and everyone of you for taking part in the season, especially to those that have reached or surpassed their goals for the season.

The results from our last games:

On-Pitch results
Black Panthers vs FC F.C (Yellow) 2 - 4
West Ham and Cheese (Green) vs Better Red than Dead 6 - 1
Weighty Whites vs Blue Mountains 5 - 5

Off-Pitch results

Black Panthers vs FC F.C (Yellow) 0 - 2
West Ham and Cheese (Green) vs Better Red than Dead 3 - 6
Weighty Whites vs Blue Mountains 1 - 6

Overall Results for week 14

Black Panthers vs FC F.C (Yellow) 2 - 6
West Ham and Cheese (Green) vs Better Red than Dead 9 - 7
Weighty Whites vs Blue Mountains 6 - 11

You can see match results anytime at www.manvfatsoccer.com.au/uwa , and if you click on ‘ Latest Results’ (the tab on the right of the results box) and hover your mouse over the scores (e.g., 4 – 2), you’ll be able to see a break down of where the score came from.

Shout-Out to Current Team Weight Loss Leaders… Based on kgs lost to-date.**

• Blue Mountains - 31.70kg
  • West Ham and Cheese (Green) - 25.9kg
  • Black Panthers - 21.30kg

Overall League weight loss to date: 119.2kg

This week a player brought a concern to my attention that I had never before thought off so I figured I would do some research and address here.

Anxiety surrounding the fear of putting weight back on:

Many of you have done an amazing job far to achieve ‘weight loss’. I would rather we didn’t use this terminology as the word ‘loss’ comes across as negative. What you have instead achieved is an updated quality of life, an education surrounding correct nutrition and lifestyle habits. The word ‘diet’ comes across as temporary, but I want you to understand your successes are in no way temporary!

Now, fears of failure and regaining weight are common, but there are ways to cope, succeed, and keep moving. Many of you i’m sure have a large variety of sizes now in your closet and perhaps a fear of getting rid of large clothing items for fear of ‘relapse’. This in itself is a form of anxiety. What I want you to understand is that this is not a cycle of perpetually dieting, you have bought into this lifestyle change and this is who you are from here on out.

4 Tips to manage fear of weight gain:

1. Weight fluctuation is entirely normal and not something to freak out over!
Hormones get can disrupted during weight loss especially if you have been a chronic dieter or under chronic stress. The body is VERY sensitive to stress.

2. It’s easy not to recognize your body after losing a lot of weight. This allows irrational fears to creep in that you’ll gain weight back overnight. One tip i’ve found here is to keep 1 of those large clothing items from the past! This allows you to always look back in reflection at how far you have come.

3. Trust in yourself! People who’ve lost significant weight struggle to see their new self. They still see the fat person in the mirror who made poor, unhealthy choices. That vision of your old self will not go away over night, but as you work on seeing your new self you will eventually come to a place of trust.

4. When your mind becomes overly preoccupied with weight, food and exercise that you can no longer live your life day to day life and it’s controlling everything you do, it’s time to seek professional help. Just as you will see a doctor when you are sick there is no harm in seeking out professional help when body image is controlling your life. Remember seeking help is a sign of strength to overcome your struggles, never a sign of weakness!

If you are seeking some futher help I recommend having a read through this website to see that not only are you not alone but other out there maybe able to provide better advice than I on this topic!

Overall I am beyond proud of you lads this season and It was an absolute pleasure to see you each week. We had our share of hiccups and theres is definitly things I could have done better (sorry Gary!) but overall I was very happy with the outcome.

Unfortunately, at this stage it appears you will have a new coach for your 2021 season. However, I will be responsible for forming your new 2021 teams as I feel this is only fair.

Thats all the blabbing from me, please never hesistate to get in touch should you want some advice or simply say Hi when you see me out and about!

Many thanks, best wishes and have a Merry Merry Festive season.

Sincerely yours,

Hamish