What am i doing Wrong - three weeks now with no weight loss

What am i doing wrong? Seems the second i went from obese to overweight the weight loss has stopped

I’m using MFP and the below is based on 1500 calories a day ( im currently 88.6kg and 29.60 bmi and have been for three weeks now)

Last weeks food diary is as follows:

Thurs cornflakes, soup / grilled chicken couscous, snacks of cranberry and almond bar and fruit shot
Fri - Granola, Soup, Stuffed peppers, new potatoes salad, hobnob for snack
Sat Granola, Ryvitta with salami(2 slices bout 10g) and cream cheese (light), bag of crisps, Chicken, New post, fresh veg, Almond and cranberry bar
Sun Muesli, Soup and a hobnob, Chicken stir fry, yoghurt
Mon - Hobnob for breakfast !! SOup, Sweet baked potato, veggie chilli, salad, fruit shot
Tuesday Muesli, Soup, Crispy chicken with salad, Kit Kat
Wed - Fruit and biscuits, SOup, Sweet potato fries, veggie pastries, salad, Fruit shot

Any coffee i have is with skimmed milk, don’t eat choccy bars, coke etc, dont put sugar on or in anything and im pretty spot on at weighing and having smaller portions, where i have potatoes or fries its never more than 100g etc

So what can i change? how can i kick start the weight loss again?

well, how many calories are you taking in? Thats the key to weight loss, caloric intake reduction.

When I was doing 2k a day, I was actually gaining weight. Once I reduced it to 1740, I started loosing weight.

1500 calories a day on average, a few days im 100 over a few days im a 100 under

could be those over days are the problem. anyone else care to weigh in?

Any regular exercise? I would imagine 1500 calories a day puts you in a calorie deficit anyway so just existing would mean you lose weight. You need the expert @maxnas to comment. Maybe you need to kickstart your metabolism if you’ve been on a strict regime for a period of time.

expert? lol noooo… not at all, but thanks all the same :slight_smile:

So this is the single most common thing/question that happens or comes up during the weight-loss journey

So what we unequivocally know, is that in these cases, it’s almost always (like 99%+) that the person is consuming more calories than they think they are… subconsciously.

Which doesn’t at all mean that you’re lying, far from it… it means there are calories slipping in somewhere that aren’t being tracked that you’re most likely unaware of

Keep in mind, this is normal for almost EVERYONE (myself included)

Now, the most common reason for this is when calories are severely restricted & too low to stick too, which then leads to hunger (which sucks) which leads to us subconsciously finding a way to get more calories without realising we’re doing it.

Here’s what I do most of the time for people when this happens… I get them to up their calories.

Sounds counter intuitive right?

How can someone not losing on 1500, lose on 1700?

Well, again the massive restriction causes subconscious consumption of calories due to the deficit being so big & the hunger that comes with it.

So the 1500, is probably more like 1800

If we up the target from 1500 (which isn’t working) to 1700, the restriction goes down, hunger goes down & adherence goes up, which means weight goes down.

Trust me, I know this inside out & have seen it literally HUNDREDS of times, over & over again

& keep in mind this is something that you’re most likely unaware of & that your body is doing rather than your brain.

Here’s what I’d do:

Have a break for a week or two… or loosely stick to around maintenance calories, give your brain & hunger a rest & let some hormonal responses re-boot

Then when you go back into it, start off with a moderate deficit & only drop food when/if you need to :slight_smile:

Also, try to have a good think & identify where other calories might be slipping in under the radar… if you can identify them, you can control them

PS - before anyone mentions metabolic adaptation… that is a real thing, but if someone is in the position when they still have a lot of excess body fat, they won’t reach such a low level, even super ripped, single digit body fat level people rarely reach this low level.

PPS , you might be losing fat that’s just not showing on the scale… water/glycogen etc, are you taking a waist measurement?

PPPS - when you say ‘some days over, some days under’ I’d bet my mortgage that if you looked at the total weekly calories, you’d see a different daily average

Brillant, thanks for the advice @maxnas it does make sense.

I shall not count for the next week but remain being sensible about what i put in my mouth and then get back on it.

When ive lost weight in the past i have noticed this 2 month or so flattening out of the results so what you are saying does make sense.

Thanks for the reply

BlockquoteAny regular exercise? I would imagine 1500 calories a day puts you in a calorie deficit anyway so just existing would mean you lose weight. You need the expert @maxnas to comment. Maybe you need to kickstart your metabolism if you’ve been on a strict regime for a period of time.

Very little exercise unfortunatly - long work days puts pay to that though it is on my list of things to work on to try and find the time in a day to do more as its something i have to implement for long term success