Working nights and eating habits

I worked nights for 13 years which is part of the reason why i’m now have joined the yeovil league.

since christmas when i broke my leg, i have changed my diet and returned to work on days which has helped me with keeping a routine. So i with that routine i’ve lost my 5% goal and working on getting under 100 kgs for the first time in probably 10 years.

now though i will be returning to the night shift which made me start wondering about my diet and eating habits.
i do a 12 hour night shift starting at 7pm til 7am with breaks at 10pm, 12.30am, 3am and 5am.

I am wondering with what i should eat and at what times of the night as working night especially such long shifts and then on my days off again, as what i found before was both my sleep pattern and my metabolism were both out of whack.

any help in this matter would be great as i’m sure im not the only guy who does shifts, what do other guys do to help them selves?

I feel like I should create a meme, based of the show archer. Just so I can say ‘Mee too!’, and reference Dr. Kreiger.

I work 3 days a week, 12 hours (6PM to 6AM), and a single six hour shift (midnight to 6). On top of that, I know that if I don’t maintain a sleep schedule, I won’t be able to keep this shift going. And I really like my job. Decent pay, great benefits, great work atmosphere (from what I hear, I don’t actually interact with anyone during the day). Finally, because of the times I am waking up, and going to bed, I would be eating diner at breakfast, and breakfast at diner (wake up around 4PM, diner. Go to bed around 8am, breakfast).

What I’ve started doing is tracking my caloric intake, using a phone app (in this case, my fitness pal). The app has a huge database of foods, as well as the ability to create your own recipes. Finally, I get a single hour and a half break, not those multitude of breaks you seem to get. But I just cooked my first home cooked meal the other day, taken from this post:

The chilli is pretty good thus far. Eat it with some tortilla chips, and its fairly tasty. Very healthy too, according to the recipe in my food tracker, just under 200 calories (with the chips).

1 Like