WW2 Recipes

The topic in my classroom at the moment is WW2. We have investigated lots of recipes and noticed that the recipes for WW2 contain less sugar and fats so must be a healthier option even today… plus they were easy to make and tasted real good!

WAR TIME CHOCOLATE CAKE

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon white vinegar
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup cold water

Directions:
In large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt.
Make three wells in the flour mixture. In one put vanilla; in another the vinegar, and in the third the oil. Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened.
Pour into 8 x 8-inch pan.
Bake at 350°F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it springs back when touched lightly.

Carrot Cookies

Carrots were the home fronts secret weapon. The Ministry of Food propaganda machine convinced children that carrots on sticks were just as tasty as ice-creams, that eating lots of carrots helped you ‘see in the dark’ during blackouts, and that Dr Carrot would make everything better.
Carrots were also used to sweeten cakes and biscuits (cookies) replacing some of the sugar used in many recipes…
Carrot Cookies (makes 12)
• 1 tablespoon margarine (Earth Balance for vegans)
• 2 tablespoons of sugar
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
• 6 tablespoons of self-raising flour (plain flour add 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder)
• 4 tablespoon of grated raw carrot
• 1 tablespoon of water
Method

1. Cream the fat and the sugar together with the vanilla essence
  2. Mix in the grated carrot
  3. Fold in the flour adding water as it gets dry
  4. Drop spoonfuls onto greased tray and press down a little
  5. Pre-heat oven to 200C
  6. Sprinkle tops of cookies with extra sugar
  7. Place in oven for 10- 15 minutes
2 Likes

Have you seen this site https://the1940sexperiment.com/

1 Like

That is the website we have been using,. really interesting ideas on there. Quite a few things I might give a try as a healthier alternative for a treat :slight_smile:

1940 sexperiment?

5 Likes

never noticed that… hope the SLT at work don’t misunderstand what i have been teaching lol… #awkwards hahah

1 Like

I read 1940 sexperimenter too. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The first psychiatrist to practice as an Analyst and a Therapist as I recall?

1 Like

You got it.

Never got into that show, but I did find this card amusing.

When I was a child my Granny used to make these big white doughy cookies in great quantiies which she gave out liberally to all of we numerous cousins. They had no taste! Just big white doughy things. Just a few years ago I came across rhe recipe she used which she got from my Great-Grandmother. I thought I’d try it out. They were delicious! I consulted with my older cousin who agreed Granny’s cookies never tasted anything like that. But it was definitely her receipe and they looked just like her cookies. We concluded that Granny, using the recipe during the depression and WWII, must have decided just to leave out all of the sugar. After the war, faced with what can only be described as an ever present horde of we cousins (usually no less than 10 at any time and usually many more) and saddled with a low income must have decided to just continue the practice. She’d make a small batch of really tastey cinnamon drop doughnuts once a week and if you were really lucky you get one of these. But once the horde had eaten out the good stuff you only got the big white doughy things. And you never knew when the good stuff was going to run out and you’d be stuck with one of those white horrors. I doubt she was doing it to watch our weight tho. :grinning:

1 Like

That’s how I saw it too!

I can’t not see that now…
you are a very, very bad man

1 Like

I blame this story. I’ve not been the same man since.